September 1999 News


Militants attack security forces, politicians in Valley

3 September 1999
Daily Excelsior

SRINAGAR: With just a day left to the first phase of polling, militants have increased their attacks on mainstream political activists and parties in Kashmir valley.

President of Jammu and Kashmir Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Mufti Mohammad Sayeed became the target of stones and brick-bats when he was addressing a 250-strong election rally at the main town of Beerwah in Budgam district. Reports available from Budgam said that Mufti Mohammad Sayeed was on the dais with his PDP functionaries when some people got up and hurled stones and brick-bats on him. As his PSOs protected the politician, a constable of Beerwah police station fired several shots in air. This caused considerable panic and stampede and within minutes, the thin public meeting disappeared completely.

Official sources said that police registered an FIR and began investigation into the matter. Later, Mr Mufti proceeded to Chadoura and addressed another public meeting there.

Reports from Shopian said that this evening, militants hurled a hand grenade towards the residence of a PDP leader, namely Abdul Majeed Banday, which fell near his premises but failed to cause any damage.

A J&K Police hand-out said that during last night, militants had fired several shots on the house of the PDP worker, Javed Ahmed Dar, at Ladoora near Sopore. His guard personnel retaliated the fire and there was no damage.

On Thursday, militants had conduced second successive attack on the NC candidate for Bijbehara Assembly segment, Mr Rafee Ahmed Mir, near Behura village. His escort personnel returned the fire and a constable, Ghulam Nabi (No: 1006/A) sustained minor injuries. Militants managed to escape.

Militants fired on a campaigning fleet of NC at Chowdhary Gund in Pulwama district today. Bullets hit a vehicle. However, there was no damage.

Reports available from Kupwara said that when the forest Minister Chowdhary Mohammad Ramzan was addressing an election rally at Tangdaar, Police caught hold of two suspects. On being frisked, two AK-47 rifles and 5 hand grenades were recovered from them. They were handed over to Army for sustained interrogation. They divulged that they had been pushed in during previous night via Sadpora village and given the specific assignment of sabotaging the minister's public meetings in Karnah.

Sources said that the two militants, one of them a Kashmiri and another from PoK, identified two more of their associates who were likely to be apprehended by tomorrow. Earlier, Ramzan addressed well-attended rallies at the LoC villages of Gabra, Chitterkote and Nachian. He was, however, stoped by Army and advised not to proceed to Titwal as Pakistani troops began heavy artillery shelling.

Meanwhile, official sources said that at 9.30 p.m. this evening an unidentified militant fired upon two students, namely Ali Mohammad Ganai S/o Ghulam Mohi-ud-Din Ganai and Firdaus Ahmed Dar S/o Ghulam Nabi Dar, both residents of Krankshivan, Sopore, after they were coming out of a mosque. The shoot-out took place yards away from a camp of security forces.

During last night, militants had conducted a fierce attack with firing and rockets on a security forces camp at Zakoora, near Hazratbal, in the outskirts of the capital city. Troops and Police retaliated the fire and there was no damage.

At midnight when this report was filed, firing was going on somewhere in the capital city. Earlier, this evening militants hurled a grenade on a BSF bunker at Jamalata in downtown which missed the intended target and failed to cause any damage.

Return to the 1999 Index
This Archives is Maintained by Md. Sadiq, 1998