February 2000 News

Two NC workers among 10 killed in valley

3 February 2000
Daily Excelsior

SRINAGAR: Two ruling National Conference workers were among 10 people killed in the Kashmir valley during the past 24 hours. Meanwhile, Pakistani troops resorted to unprovoked artillery and mortar shelling from across the border targetting civilian and force installation in Karnah sector since last evening.

An official spokesman giving details about yesterday’s shoot-out at Tattoo ground Batmaloo, said a jeep of Doordarshan Srinagar was returning back to Batmaloo when it came under fire resulting in the death of an employee Ghulam Hassan Sofi and police guard Mohammad Amin and injuries to two others.

However, without disclosing who opened fire he said a case has been registered in police station Shergari. Meanwhile, Doordarshan employees at an emergency meeting here today demanded high level inquiry into the incident.

In a statement they said if an impartial inquiry was not ordered immediately they will go for a direct action.

The spokesman said security forces killed a foreign militant during an encounter at village Dohama in the frontier district of Kupwara last evening. One AK rifle and some rounds of ammunition were recovered from the slain militant.

He said an encounter took place between militants and Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) force at Chewgund Verinag in south Kashmir last evening. He said during the two-hour-long clash one militant, one ITBP jawan and a civilian were killed. He said Border Security Force recovered huge cache of arms and ammunition from a hideout in Chowkibal in Kupwara this morning.

Security forces averted a major tragedy when they detected and defused a powerful improvised explosive device near General Bus Stand Batmaloo today. Official sources told EXCELSIOR here, militants shot dead Ghulam Mohammad Balla, a National Conference worker, at Chinkral Mohalla in Srinagar city this morning.

Militants killed another National Conference activist at Tangmarg last night, they said. An official spokesman said Jammu and Kashmir Police Special Operation Group killed a militant in an encounter at Tulmulla last evening. One wireless set, two magazines and two grenades were recovered from the slain militant.

He said militants shot at and wounded a counter insurgent at Hardtoora in Baramulla district this morning. Militants attacked the house of a Congress activist Mohammad Afzal Dar at Sumbal. However, his guards also returned the fire but none was hurt. Report from Baramulla said Pakistani troops fired mortars and artillery shells from across the border in Karnah sector last evening.

Shelling, which continued throughout the night, however, did not cause any damage to life or property, the sources said. Indian troops also retaliated and targeted security force installations across the border. However, casualties suffered by Pakistani troops were not immediately known.

Two security personnel were burnt alive when their wooden hut caught fire at Kokernag in south Kashmir early this morning. Meanwhile, Chief Minister Dr Farooq Abdullah today condemned the killing of Ghulam Mohammad Balla, block president, National Conference, Habbakadal, Srinagar. Describing it as a dastardly act, Dr Abdullah said the killing of innocent people speaks volumes about the level of frustration among the militants, who have no respect for humanity. Dr Abdullah conveyed condolences to the bereaved family.


Return to the Archives 2000 Index Page

Return to Home Page