February 2000 News

HM militant involved in Reasi explosions nabbed

6 February 2000
Daily Excelsior

UDHAMPUR: Reasi police have arrested an activist of Hizbul Mujahideen outfit, who was responsible for two explosions in Reasi town last month. The explosions had spelt a wave of terror in the otherwise peaceful town of Reasi.

The Hizbul Mujahideen militant, who was arrested by a Reasi police party, has been identified as Javed Hussain alias Sonu, 21, son of Abdul Rashid and a resident of Ward No. 3 Reasi.

A police spokesman said Reasi police had started massive searches besides hectic investigations after two explosions rocked the town on January 14 and January 31. Though both the explosions had failed to cause any casualty or damage, they had spread panic among the people, who resorted to violence after second explosion and attacked the house of Sub-Divisional Magistrate (SDM) Reasi.

During investigations, police established that Javed Hussain alias Sonu was a functionary of Hizbul Mujahideen outfit and was instrumental behind both the explosions. Sonu had gone underground after the blasts.

Police raided several suspected hideouts of the militants in Reasi and finally succeeded in apprehending Sonu in an operation carried out last mid-night. Sonu was whisked away to a police station for interrogation.

The spokesman said after sustained interrogation, Sonu has admitted his involvement in both the explosions in the town. He disclosed that he had been given grenades by a Hizbul Mujahideen commander to trigger blasts in the Reasi town and create communal tensions besides panic in the area.

Sonu disclosed that he had been paid Rs 30,000 by the Hizbul Mujahideen commander for engineering blasts. However, due to police presence in the town, Sonu had failed to cause blasts in the crowded areas and just to create panic, triggered blasts in deserted areas of the town.

Police said two more grenades were recovered from his possession at the time of his arrest. The Hizbul Mujahideen militant was planning to launch grenade attacks in the town again after a gap of a week.

A major possible tragedy has been averted with the arrest of Sonu and recovery of two grenades from his possession, the spokesman said, adding with his arrest the militantsí plan to create communal tension in the area has also been thwarted.

Sonu was an under Matric and an unemployed youth. His unemployment was cashed by the Hizbul Mujahideen activists and he was lured into militancy by paying him Rs 30,000, police said.

However, police donít rule out the possibility of some more militantsí presence in the area. Police have intensified night patrolling in the Reasi town and its outskirts to check the activities of anti-national elements.


Return to the Archives 2000 Index Page

Return to Home Page