Jammu and Kashmir Suicide Missions To Go On, Vows Lashkar
14 September 2000
The Asian Age
Islamabad: The Lashkar-e-Tayyaba said on Thursday that it would keep up suicide missions against the Indian forces in Kashmir and warned the United States not to declare it a terrorist organisation. Lashkar-e-Tayyaba chief Hafiz Mohammad Saeed told a press conference the suicide missions started last year to hit Indian military installations had been a success. ''We suffer minimum losses in suicide missions against the enemy''s maximum losses as most of our fighters return alive (from operations),'' he said. ''God-willing this method will be maintained,'' said Saeed, whose group fighters stormed an Army camp on Tuesday on the outskirts of Srinagar, killing at least four soldiers and injuring five. Lashkar said 12 Indian soldiers were killed in the attack by two militants, who the Indian police said were also shot dead. Saeed said recent statements by US and Indian officials indicated the United States was planning to declare Lashkar a terrorist organisation. ''This will be a total injustice,'' he said.