April 2001 News

Militants attack Army camp, gun down four in J&K

2 April 2001
The Hindustan Times

Srinagar: Militants attacked an army camp and a BSF picket, killed four persons and injured six others in separate incidents, while two Al-Bader activists were nabbed in Jammu and Kashmir since Sunday, officials said on Monday. Heavily armed militants lobbed five grenades and fired on an army camp in Awantipora in Pulwama district late last night, an official spokesman here said, adding that the armymen retaliated and the exchange of fire continued for nearly an hour. However, no one was injured in the firing, he said, adding that a hunt has been launched for the militants. Militants attacked a BSF picket with a grenade at Batmaloo bus stand in Srinagar, injuring a security personnel and three pedestrians, including a couple. One Harkat-ul-Jehad-i-Islami militant Farooq Ahmad Lone alias "Col Musa", under police custody, was killed when militants fired at the police party which was escorting him for arms recovery in Kapran forest in Anantnag district. One surrendered militant Ghulam Ali and his wife were shot dead by militants in their Deoli village of Doda district while a surrendered militant-turned-special police officer Ghulam Nabi Najar was killed in Kondabal area of Pampore, the spokesman said. Militants attacked and critically injured a special police officer Manzoor Ahmad Yatoo at Bagh Wanpora in Anantnag district while a police inspector sustained serious bullet injuries in an encounter between militants and a joint party of police and security forces in Marbte village of Poonch district. BSF personnel arrested two Al-Badr militants identified as Shoukat Ahmad Patoo and Ashiq Mohammad, involved in grenade explosions in Baramulla on January 12 and January 26 that killed four civilians and injured two securitymen, from their houses in Arampora village of Sopore. Meanwhile, in Srinagar, shopkeepers near the Batmaloo bus stand where the militants lobbed a grenade, observed a strike to protest arrest of some shopkeepers by the BSF following the attack. In Tral area of Pulwama, business establishments remained closed for the second day in protest against killing of one Ashiq Hussain Shah. While locals claim he was a Class IX student who was arrested and tortured to death, police say he was a Hizbul Mujahideen militant and was killed in an encounter yesterday.


Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page