August 2001 News

Militants strike again; 10 killed in Jammu

7 August 2001
The Times of India

Jammu: Ten people, including two women and as many security personnel, were killed and 30 injured as suspected Lashkar-e-Toiba militants opened fire indiscriminately at the Jammu railway station Tuesday night in yet another major strike close on the heels of the Kishtwar massacre of 13 Hindus. Police said the militants, one of them in combat dress, resorted to indiscriminate firing at the station soon after getting off from Ahmedabad-Jammu express around 8.10 pm. One of the militants was shot dead while the others managed to escape as security personnel posted at the station returned the fire. A massive search operation has been launched to trace them. The attack, at 8.15 pm, was so sudden and caused so much confusion and panic in the railway station that no single version of the incident was immediately available. Meanwhile, authorities decided Tuesday to impose curfew in the city from Wednesday morning as a precautionary measure in the wake of mounting tension after Shiv Sena activists called for a 12- hour strike in Jammu city, Wednesday protesting the killings. The injured have been admitted to hospitals. The toll is expected to go up substantially as some have been seriously injured. Several passengers and their relatives and friends were injured in the firing by the militants at platform number one which was splattered with blood and severed human flesh. An automatic weapon was recovered from the dead militant and another from the platform left behind by two of his associates who fled on being given a chase by security forces. Abdullah blamed Pakistan for the sudden spurt in militancy in the state and said he would visit Jammu on Wednesday to review the situation in the wake of the attack on the railway station. Shiv Sena called a 12-hour general strike in Jammu city on Thursday to protest the killing. Meanwhile, Shiv Sena activists stoned the Army Hospital, where the dead militant has been kept, and a vehicle carrying district magistrate R K Goel and senior superintendent of police protesting the killings. Goel and the police official escaped unhurt. Sena called a 12-hour strike in Jammu city on Thursday amidst indications that authorities would impose curfew in the wake of mounting tension and possibility of violence.


Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page