December 2001 News

HUJI militant hacked to death by civilian

3 December 2001
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Special Correspondent

Srinagar: While as security forces have eliminated two militants in separate encounters in Kashmir valley today, a Gujjar in Kulgam area of south Kashmir has hacked to death a Pakistani militant of Harkat-ul-Jehad-e- Islami (HUJI) during last night. Informed sources in south Kashmir told EXCELSIOR that during last night, two militants of HUJI barged into the hutment of a Gujjar at Waltengu, in Kond forest area of Qazigund, and demanded some milk and eatables. As the inmates objected to their manner of tresspassing and argued with them, one of the militants fired a burst of AK-56 gunfire which hit the leg of the house-owner Hashmatullah Khan. His son-in-law, Ghulam Hassan Deedarh, picked up an axe and struck it on the militantís head, killing him on spot. Another militant, ran out and managed to escape. In the morning, troops of 17-Punjab rushed to the spot and recovered the militantís dead body alongwith one AK-56 rifle, one wireless set and four hand grenades. Militantsí radio intercepts identified the slain militant as Abu Ali of Pakistan. Early this morning, a gunbattle took place between militants and security forces at Naripora in Kokernag area of south Kashmir. Reports said that the encounter began when militants fired upon a patrol of RR 36 Bn. Three residential houses gutted in exchange of fire. However, there were no reports of any casualties till late this evening as the operation was stated to be in progress. Another gunbattle began between militants and security forces at Rawatpora, near Kralweth, in Tangmarg area this morning when militants opened fire on a joint patrol of 15 JAK LI and SOG Baramulla. Exchange of gunfire was heard for over an hour. However, there were no reports of any casualties. In Shilvat village of Sumbal, troops of RR 13 Bn and SOG Ganderbal raided a militant hideout as they received information that a group of militants were present. Even as a counter-insurgent, Meraj-ud-din Malla alias Shera S-o Khaliq Malla R-o Shilvat sustained injuries in the gunbattle, troops gunned down one militant. He was identified as Abdur Rasheed Dar S-o Razaq Dar R-o Shahgund, of Hizbul Mujahideen. One disposable rocket launcher was recovered from his possession. Residents said that two militants managed to escape. Reports from north Kashmir said that security forces eliminated one unidentified militant in an encounter, in Gogaldara forest area, in Kupwara district. Here in the capital city, unidentified gunmen appeared at Zareepora, Zoonimar, and fired upon Shabir Ahmed Peer S-o Mohammad Maqbool Peer near his house. With critical injuries, he was rushed to SKIMS Soura but died on way to the hospital. He was a Pashmina dealer. Militants fired a couple of rifle grenades towards the Tatoo Ground army formation. However, all the grenades fell short of target and exploded in a logoon. A 100-kg IED has been reportedly detected and defused on Wadwan-Beerwah road in Budgam district, averting a possible tragedy. Meanwhile, the Hizbul Mujahideen militant, killed in an encounter at Wahibug, Pulwama, on Sunday, has been identified as Manzoor Ahmed Bangi S-O Abdur Rehman Bangi of Chrar-e-Sharif. Huge arms haul Reports from Kupwara said that Army and SOG Kupwara conducted a search operation in Meelyal forest area and recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunition, stored by militants. The seizure included 81- mm mortar launcher of 5 Km effective range with 14 mortars and 81 mortar fuses, 20 hand grenades, 65 rifle grenades, 20 detonators and 6 Kg RDX. The militant hideout was destroyed.


Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page