December 2001 News

7 militants surrender before IGP Kashmir

27 December 2001
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Special Correspondent

Srinagar: Seven Kashmiri militants of four different outfits today laid down their arms before IGP Kashmir, K Rajendra Kumar. All of them hailing from Bandipore and Rafiabad areas of north Kashmir, surrendered through Dy SP of SOG Ganderbal, Jagtar Singh, at a simple function at Police Control room Srinagar. They handed over to the IGP sophisticated grenade guns, pistols and other arms and ammunition. Three of the surrenderees described themselves as members of Al-Fatah Force, two of them said that they belonged to Hizbul Mujahideen and each each was stated to be members of Al-Badr and J&K Islamic Front. On this occasion, K Ranjendra Kumar claimed that Police and security forces had caused severe blows to different militant organisations in Kashmir during the last one month. He said that cash worth Rs one crore had been seized from Hizb and Jaish-e-Mohammad while as a large number of militants had either been killed or arrested. Others, he said, were coming forward to lay down arms. IGP said that in addition to arresting several militant activists wanted in the attack on Parliament, Kashmir Police had arrested, on the inputs provided by District Police Jammu, a key Al-Qaeda conduit. He identified him as Ghulam Qadir Najar of Manzgam, Bren (Nishat) and said that he was also working in Hotel Centaur in Srinagar. Rajendra said that the former Harkat-ul-Mujahideen militant Qamar Ayub S-o Mohammad Ayub of Mirpur, Pakistan, (who was now an Al-Qaeda functionary) had stayed at Najarís house. It was on their disclosures that Jammu Police also arrested a Saudi militant. He said that several militant hideouts had been destroyed in north Kashmir during the last four weeks. Rajendra explained how SOG Srinagar recovered a money consignment of Rs 20 Lakh from the house of one Abdur Rasheed Ganai S-o Ghulam Qadir R-o Nowgam, Shopian a day after Eid. He said that SOG had intercepted Hizbul Mujahideenís message to a militant asking him to collect cash of Rs 20 Lakh from the Shopian residentís home. He said that an SOG decoy went to the family in the guise of a militant, disclosed to the house owner the code name of ''Abdullah Makki'' and thereupon the resident handed over the cash consignment to the SOG decoy, mistaking him for the Pakistani militant. IGP said Police were in possession of ''unconfirmed reports'' that about 25 Al-Qaeda militants, including the top thinktank Mulla Abrar, had sneaked into Kashmir valley through Rajwar and other infiltration routes in Kupwara district.


Return to the Archives 2001 Index Page

Return to Home Page