June 2003 News

Fidayeen attempt fails at Lolab police station

3 June 2003
The Daily Excelsior
Daily Excelsior Correspondent

Jammu: An attempt of a suicide strike on a Police Station in Kupwara failed today even as security forces eliminated two militants near LoC in the same district. A counter-insurgent died in mysterious circumstances at Devsar in Kulgam area of north Kashmir. Informed sources in north Kashmir told EXCELSIOR that a young man in Police uniform appeared at the main entrance of Lalpora Police Station in Lolab valley of Kupwara district at 1115 hours today. With an AK-47 rifle in his hand, he described himself as a constable of Kupwara Police and asked the sentry to open the gate for him. However, the sentry developed some suspicion and he pounced upon the stranger. The sentry snatched away the AK-47 rifle of the stranger, who ran away and vanished into a thin group of residents. After a while, Police laid siege to the area and conducted a search operation. No clue could be obtained with regard to the whereabouts of the escapee. SP Kupwara S D Singh confirmed that the sentry had seized the weapon. He claimed that the stranger was a militant who must have appeared at the Police station with the intention of carrying out a Fidayee attack. However, his plan fell flat when his weapon was seized by the constable. Singh said that Police did not open fire due to the movement of some schoolchildren in the same direction which was used by the militant to flee. Sources said that earlier last evening, two unidentified militants, believed to be Pakistani cadres of a Jehadi outfit, fell in the ambush of Police and troops of 12-Jat in Banderwan forest area, close to LoC, in Shalbathoo area. Both of them died in a dramatic clash with the security forces. One AK-56 rifle, one sniper, one pistol, five hand grenades, five rockets and a quantity of assorted ammunition was recovered from the site of encounter. It appeared that other members of the infiltrating group managed to escape. Rashtriya Rifles have seized a sizeable quantity of arms and ammunition from Kaunsar forest area in Aloosa, Bandipore. It included 36 UBGL grenades, some remote control devices and 10 Kgs of RDX. Police have recovered dead body of one Mohammad Qasim Bimla from Ahlan Gadole in Kokernag area. He is believed to have been kidnapped by militants and later killed. Reports from south Kashmir said that a local counter-insurgent, namely Mushtaq Ahmed Malik S-o Abdur Rehman Malik R-o Malwan (Kulgam) died in a mysterious shootout at a small camp of Ikhwanis at Devsar late last night. Battalion headquarters of Rashtriya Rifles 9th Bn is situated yards away from the site of the shootout. Sources said that the slain counter- insurgent had been working with RR 09 Bn. His mother and wife had reached Devsar yesterday and were putting up with Malik when the gunfire was heard and Malik was found critically injured. After a while, he succumbed to injuries. Police said it was investigating the killing. However, a bulletin from J&K Police Headquarters said that the counter-insurgent died in a militant strike on the Ikhwan camp.


Return to the Archives 2003 Index Page

Return to Home Page