December 2003 News

2 Jaish, Hizb militants killed by militants

15 December 2003
The Daily Excelsior
Daily Excelsior Correspondent

Jammu: Unidentified gunmen, believed to be militants, have shot dead two militants in Pampore-Tral belt of south Kashmir during last night. One more militant has been killed by security forces in an encounter in Kokernag area. Informed sources told EXCELSIOR that Police and residents recovered the bullet-riddled dead body of a Jaish-e- Mohammad militant from Kransoo village in Khrew area of Pampore early this morning. Immediately after a shootout, Police had rushed to the spot late last night and rescued one Meraj-ud-din Bhat of Drangbal, Pampore, who was critically injured in the shootout. As already reported in this newspaper, Meraj-ud-din was rushed to Srinagar and admitted at SKIMS, Soura. This morning, dead body of a Jaish militant was recovered from the same locality. He was identified as Khursheed Ahmed Bhat alias Bitta S-o Mohammad Shafi Bhat R-o Iddgah Drangbal, Pampore. Residents as well as the injured Meraj-ud-din stated to Police that some unidentified gunmen had fired upon the duo. Enquiries revealed that Delhi Police had seized a truck, bearing registration No JK13-153, earlier this year and recovered a huge quantity of arms and ammunition from the same. Khursheed Ahmed Bhat, who was reportedly driving the vehicle, had managed to escape. DPís Special Cell at Lodhi Colony, New Delhi, had registered case FIR No 70 of 2003 under section 3-4 POTA and section 25 of Indian Arms Act, and launched a manhunt to apprehend the fugitive Khursheed Ahmed Bhat. As Delhi Police and security forces in the Valley failed to arrest the militant, militants themselves eliminated him in a mysterious shootout in Khrew area of Pampore last evening. Meraj-ud-din and Khursheed Ahmed Bhat had reportedly gone to meet with some militants. They were both drivers and residents of the same locality in Pampore. The militants fired upon the duo at a place between Grenz and Kransoo. Meraj-ud-din survived with critical injuries. Khursheed is believed to have died on spot. At Khan Gund village in Tral area, unidentified persons, believed to be militants, fired upon one Abdul Qayoom Bhat alias Abdullah S-o Ghulam Mohammad Bhat of the same village and left him dead late last night. His dead body was recovered from Handoora, Tral. Officials as well as residents described him as a Hizbul Mujahideen militant. They believed that Bhat had been killed by his own colleagues, who suspected him as an informer of security forces.According to Police reports, Abdul Qayoom Bhat was active in militancy since 1994. Reports from south Kashmir added that troops of Rashtriya Rifles 36 Bn killed a Pakistani militant in an encounter at Biddar in Kokernag early this morning. He was identified as Rizwan Bhai.


Return to the Archives 2003 Index Page

Return to Home Page