March 2005 News

Mufti Mantri Brother Is Shot Dead By Militants

24 March 2005
The Asian Age

Srinagar: Suspected militants shot dead in cold a brother of Jammu and Kashmir's minister of state for home Abdur Rehman Veri on Thursday evening. In separate attacks, the gunmen killed four more persons across the restive state, the police said. Unidentified assailants repeatedly shot Muhammad Akram, a contractor by profession, at Tsirapora, which is his hometown. He was quickly taken to the hospital, but succumbed to the injuries soon, a police official said. So far, none of the several separatist militant outfits active in the state, has admitted responsibility for slaying the minister's brother. Bijbehara is also the hometown of chief minister Mufti Muhammad Sayeed. The incident came hours after Mr Veri had, in a written reply told the State Assembly, now in its budget session at Jammu, that as many 15, 320 civilians and 4, 051 security personnel were killed and about thirty thousand people including 10, 773 security personnel wounded in the militancy related incidents across Jammu and Kashmir over the past 14 years. The minister was on way to Srinagar to attend the funeral of his brother, a report said. Meanwhile, gunmen abducted two men identified as Muhammad Amin Lone and Hilal Ahmed Lone from their respective residences at Bakhipora Panzla in Baramulla district and subsequently shot them dead in cold blood. Another person Mumtaz Ahmed Lone was targeted at Bandipore, a town in the north of the Valley. He was hospitalised, but died soon thereafter. Mumtaz, the police sources said, was working for the counterinsurgency special operations group of the state police. Yet another person, Gulzar Ahmed Wani, was kidnapped from his home at Wahipora in southern Pulwama district and later shot dead. The police said the body of an unidentified person was found at Deeth Nag, Acchabal in neighbouring Anantnag district. In an encounter occurred at Kadwa, Rai Chak in Basantgarh area of Udhampur district, the security forces shot dead a militant Abu Bilal Afghani, who, they said, was a member of Lashkar-e-Tayyaba. The violence coincided with the day-long visit of Army Chief General J.J. Singh of the valley. Defence spokesperson Col. R.K. Sen said that accompanied by his wife Ms Anupama Singh, the Army Chief went to Baramulla where he was briefed by the General Officer Commanding of the 19 infantry division on the progress of work underway on the stretch of the road to Muzaffarabad. Later, he flew over to the Line of Control fence to take a view of the prevailing situation along the de facto border and also visited the High Attitude Warfare School at Gulmarg. 'The Army Chief expressed his deep desire for early return of peace and normalcy in the Valley,' the spokesperson said.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page