August 2005 News

HuM Commander Among 4 Killed

16 August 2005
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Four militants, including Harkat-ul-Mujahideen district commander, were killed while as a Deputy Superintendent of Police was injured in separate encounters at different places in Kashmir valley today. Police recovered a body, chopped in pieces, of a missing shopkeeper from Pulwama district. An IED blast at Jamaat activist's house in Tral, damaged five houses and injured two persons. According to details, a joint party of 15 RR and 22 RR, last night, cordoned off a village Janwara in Sopore. Sources said that militants, hiding in the area, opened fire on the troops during which a fierce gun battle erupted between militants and the troopers. The encounter continued till 1400 hours, sources said, adding that two militants, including a Lashkar-e-Toiba, Abu Rafia, were killed in the prolonged encounter. A residential house belonging to one, Mohammed Sultan Shah, a Jamaat-e- Islami activist, also got damaged in the encounter. District commander of Harkat-ul-Muhajhideen (HuM) was killed while as DySP Task Forces was injured in an encounter at village Matipora in south Kashmir district of Anantnag, sources said. Giving details of the encounter, sources elaborated that joint party of 3 RR and STF, last night, had an encounter with militants at Matipora Anantnag during which HuM district commander, Waheen Qureshi alias Waleed of Bagh Muzaffarabad, PoK was killed. Sources added that DySP of Task Force, Harmeet Singh also sustained bullet injuries during the encounter. One Lashkar-e-Toiba militant Riyaz-ul-Haque, alias Muzammil, of Afghanistan was killed in an encounter with troopers of 28 RR at Darawan forest, 20 kms away from Harwan in Srinagar, sources said, adding that some arms and ammunition was also recovered from the possession of slain militant. Police recovered a body, chopped into pieces, of Firdous Ahmed Wani, son of Abdur Raheem, of Lajwara, from Gooripora in south Kashmir district of Pulwama, sources said, adding that he was missing since June 7 when he hadn't returned from his shop. A missing report was lodged in police station Awantipora. Meanwhile, two persons were injured in an IED blast that occurred in a residential house of a Jamaat activist. Sources said that a huge blast occurred in a store-shed, outside the residence of Advocate Sheikh Ali Mohammed, a member of Jamaat advisory council. Five residential houses, around the area, were damaged in the blast while as the window panes of the house of Jamaat activist were shattered. Two persons, Tauqeer Ahmed Malik and Farooq Ahmed Mir were injured, sources said. Worth mentioning here Sheikh's son Showket Sheikh is a militant and is presently in Pakistan. A group of militants fled away with the arms of cops, stationed to guard a bridge at Brazloo Kulgam in Pulwama, sources said. Sources said that a group of militants attacked a police post on a bridge at Brazloo Kulgam with indiscriminate fire. Though the cops retaliated, sources said, however had to 'give up' before the heavy fire of the militants. Militants snatched two 303 rifles from the cops besides fleeing away with two magazines and 20 rounds of ammunition. Police sources said that three cops were deployed on the post, however, when the post was attacked only one was present. A case has been registered; however, no arrests were made.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page