August 2005 News

Top Commanders Of HM, Al-Badr Among 7 Militants Killed

21 August 2005
The Indian Express

Srinagar: In the surging violence in the Valley, seven militants were killed since last night. The slain militants included two top commanders of Hizbul Mujahideen and Al-Badr Mujahideen. Police said that two militants, including a top commander of Pakistan-based Al-Badr Mujahideen militant outfit were killed in an encounter with the army at Kangan in Srinagar district. The army, on a specific tip-off about the presence of militants laid a seige around the forest area at Hayan in Kangan, said police sources. As the army started combing operations to flush out the militants, they came under heavy fire. The army returned the dire and in the ensuing encounter, two militants were killed. The slain militants have been identified by police as Khalid Afghani and Imran, both residents of Pakistan. The army said that the operation in the area continues. Army spokesman said that Afghani alias Akhter Pahalwan was the district commander of the Al Badr militant outfit. He claimed to have recovered two AK 47 rifles, two magazines, three hand grenades and some ammunition from the possession of the slain militants. In south Kashmir district of Anantnag, army killed a batallion commander of the largest indigenous militant outfit Hizbul Mujahideen. Police said Shabir Ahmad Shah of Halwani Aishmuqam was killed in an encounter with the army at Salia, Aishmuqam in the south Kashmir. Shah, army said, was the battalion commander of Hizbul and was active in the area. Army claimed to have recovered an AK rifle, two magazines and some rounds of ammunition from his possession. A fierce encounter is on between the army and militants at Tulkhan in the south Kashmir district of Anantnag, in which one militant was killed. Police said the army laid seige round the Tulkhan village in Bijbehara to nab the militants. The militants fired on the army and in the ensuing encounter, a militant was killed. The slain militant has been identified as Abdul Hamid Khanday of Yaripora, Kulgam. Police said he was affiliated to the Pakistan based Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant outfit and claimed to recover an AK rifle, a hand grenade and some ammunition from his possession. Sources said that army on information about the presence of militants laid seige around the house of Farooq Ahmad Dar. The militants, hiding in the house, fired on the army, which retaliated. The encounter was going on till last reports came in. In a separate encounter, a Pakistani militant was killed at Bogam, Kulgam in Anantnag district. The slain militant has been identified, by police, as Abu Waqas, a resident of Pakistan. Police claimed to have recovered some arms and ammunition from his possession. Meanwhile, police says that it recovered three kilograms of gun powder, during search operations, from a militant hideout at Khatri Mohalla, Litter in Pulwama district.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page