September 2005 News

Two Militants Killed In Harwan Encounter

25 September 2005
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Two militants, who had taken refuge in a house after a gunfight erupted at Mulafag near the Harwan Mughal Gardens on the city outskirts, have been killed by the security forces, police said today. The security forces have suspended the operation to prevent the casualties as the night approached. The search operation will be resumed early tomorrow morning. Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP) Srinagar Muneer Khan, who is leading the operation, said both the militants have been killed by the security forces and the firing has stopped. 'We have killed the two militants. We believe there were only two of them as the firing has stopped from the other side,' he added. Mr Khan said the security forces have suspended the operation which will be resumed tomorrow morning. 'We do not want casualties on our side. We will resume search with the first light tomorrow,' he added. The SSP said the house, where the militants had taken shelter, and a shed have also been destroyed in the gun-battle. Giving details, Deputy Inspector General (DIG) of Police H K Lohia said the security forces, on a specific information about the presence of militants at Mulafag, laid a cordon of the area today. He said when the militants noticed the security forces they opened fire which was effectively retaliated. Mulafag lies in the vicinity of Burzhama in the Dara Forest area. Meanwhile, security forces today recovered six- kg of explosive material concealed in a tape recorder from an apple orchard in Handwara area of Kupwara district, a Defence spokesman said. Acting on a tip off, an Army unit recovered a tape recorder containing six Kg of explosives and literature on IED circuit buried underground during a search in an apple orchard in Waksura village. The spokesman said the recovered items were sent for forensic examination. Meanwhile, a civilian, caught in crossfire between militants and troopers was killed in Kulgam south Kashmir. Sources said that troopers of 9 RR launched a search operation to nab militants hiding at Bhan village of Kulgam in south Kashmir, during which a fierce encounter broke out between militants and troopers. A civilian, Farooq Ahmed Paala, son of Abdur Rasheed, caught in crossfire was killed during the operation, while as militants managed escape, the sources said.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page