November 2005 News

Six Killed In Srinagar Suicide Attack

2 November 2005

Srinagar: A suicide bomber today blew up an explosive-laden car on the outskirts of the city killing six persons, including himself, and injuring 18 others, hours before the swearing-in of Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad as Chief Minister of Jammu and Kashmir. The bomber, belonging to Jaish-e-Mohammed, blew the vehicle up at about 15-km from the Sher-e-Kashmir International Convention Centre, the venue of the swearing-in ceremony, and near the private residence of outgoing Chief Minister Mufti Mohammed Sayeed when challenged by security forces during a random search. The militant refused to stop the vehicle and as a constable tried to block his way, he blew up the car at around 11.10 am. Besides the militant, the constable Nisar Ahmed and four civilians - Saleema Akhtar of Gulshan Nagar, Mohammed Iqbal Wani of Kanipora, 12-year-old Irshad Ahmad Dar and a yet to be identified person, were killed in the attack, senior Superintendent of Police Munir Khan said. The condition of eight of the injured was stated to be serious. Among them were three traffic police constables, hospital sources said. 'The car bomb is our first gift to Ghulam Nabi Azad,' a man, identifying himself as Abu Quduma and claiming to be a spokesman of Jaish-e-Mohammad told a local news agency. He identified the bomber as Mohammed Mubashir Hussain, a resident of Abbaspora village in Rawalakot in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir. The blast was so powerful that several other vehicles plying on the Nowgam bypass were damaged. Window panes of a number of residential houses in the vicinity of the explosion were also damaged in the incident, official sources said. The sources did not rule out use of RDX in the explosion. Immediately after the blast, forensic experts of Jammu and Kashmir police rushed to the scene and took samples from the blast site to ascertain the explosive used. Mangled parts of the vehicle were retrieved by police with the help of local residents 250 yards away from the scene of the blast, the sources said. The traffic on the bypass remained suspended for nearly two hours following the blast.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page