November 2005 News

Cong activist gunned down

11 November 2005
The Daily Excelsior
Daily Excelsior Correspondent

Srignagar: A fierce gunbattle between Army and militants in Kashmir, in which a Major was killed, ended after 17 hours this morning with the killing of a militant, a Defence spokesman said. The encounter at Bandipora in Baramulla district, 65 kms from here, began last evening, after troops of 14 Rashtriya Rifles cordoned Arin village following information about presence of militants. The ultras, who had taken shelter in two houses, opened fire on the search party yesterday, killing Major Gopi Rathore, who had served as ADC to former President K R Narayanan. The troops had suspended the operation last night but maintained a tight cordon around the houses. The operation was resumed this morning, resulting in the death of the militant, the spokesman said adding that a search was on to nab the remaining ultras. Meanwhile, militants today gunned down a retired policeman turned Congress activist in Pulwama district, official sources said. Ghulam Ahmad Ganai alias Chaman, 48, was shot dead by militants while he was returning to his Lajoora residence after offering Friday prayers at around 2.30 pm, the sources said. Ganai, who was associated with counter-insurgency Ikhwan Group and National Conference prior to his joining Congress, was shot by unidentified pistol-borne militants from point blank range causing him critical injuries. He was rushed to hospital where he was declared brought dead, they said. The ultras fled the scene soon after the incident and a hunt has been launched to nab them, the sources said. No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the killing. Meanwhile, police recovered the body of a youth, who was reported missing, from his car parked along the Srinagar Airport road, official sources said today. The body was identified to be that of 18-year-old Shoukat Ahmad Gassi, a resident of Jawahar Nagar locality of the city, who was missing since yesterday, the sources said. Gassi, a 12th class student, was found dead in his car parked at Al-Noor Colony in Hyderpora locality, sources said, adding his family suspected some foul play. Police have registered a case and started investigating the case. They said the body bore bruises on the neck and had been sent to the Badgam district hospital for postmortem. Meanwhile, agitated over the alleged roughing up of a village head by a police officer, residents of quake-ravaged Uri town of Baramulla district today took to streets and tried to storm a police station demanding action against the accused, official sources said. The numberdar of Choolan village Mohammad Ramzan was allegedly beaten up by a Deputy Superintendent of Police when he reportedly ignored the Officer’s directions while distributing relief this morning triggering massive protest demonstrations by locals, the sources said. The protestors alleged that the Officer was asking for some undue favour from the numberdar for providing relief to his acquaintances which he declined irking the DSP. They tried to storm the police station but later dispersed after an assurance by civil officials that the incident would be looked into.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page