December 2005 News

4 militants killed in Uri

6 December 2005
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Special Correspondent

Srinagar: In a bizarre incident, which instigated violent protests in entire Sopore town today, three local youths attempted to set ablaze a local Masjid during the preceding night. People however, overpowered one of them and handed him over to police. According to details, residents of Sopore took to streets on Tuesday expressing resentment against the desecration of Masjid by three youths and demanded that the involved youth be handed over to them. Locals, while giving out the details of the incident, said three youths, identified as Mushtaq Ahmed Dar, Qaiser Ahmed Darzi and Javed Ahmed Shah barged inside the Sopore Jamia Masjid during the preceding night. Locals alleged that these youth later burnt the furniture of the mosque. The residents putting up near the Masjid realized that there was something wrong within the premises discovering the trio inside the Masjid doing something fishy. Presence of the youth in such a condition infuriated the residents. While two of them managed to escape by scaling a wall, one of them Mushtaq Ahmed was caught on the spot. Police later reached the spot and arrested Dar. People on the other hand chased the other two of the youth, who according to sources entered into the house of the Chairman of the Municipal Council Sopore, Ghulam Rasool Dar. Qaiser Ahmed Darzi is the nephew of the Chairman. However, police arrested the duo from Chairmana’s house and took them along. Reports said that as soon as the news of the desecration of the Masjid spread in the area, on Tuesday morning people in large number took to the roads and staged violent demonstrations. Protesters pelted stones on the Police Station Sopore, demanding that culprits be handed over to them. Locals suspected that the trio was working for certain agencies to instigate the religious sentiments of the people and cause law and order disturbances. Ashkoor Wani, Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Baramulla while giving out the details said, 'The accused have been arrested and FIR, bearing no. 379-5 under section 406-153-A and 427 has been registered against them.' Later Deputy Commissioner, Baramulla reached on the spot and pacified the protesters, while assuring an investigation into the matter. He appointed Sub Divisional Magistrate (SDM), Sopore as an Inquiry officer and asked him to submit the report about the incident. Meanwhile four militants were killed in a shootout near Line of Control in Uri, when a group of exfiltrating militants was spotted at Kamalkote in Uri near LoC on Tuesday morning. Defense spokesman said that, the troopers on Tuesday morning spotted a group of four militants near the LoC in Kamalkote area around. The militants were asked to surrender, the spokesman said, adding that they refused the offer and tried to flee to the other side. The troops then opened fire killing two of the exfiltrators. They were identified as Sajjad Ahmad of Tral and Farooq Ahmad of Pampore. Bodies of both the militants have been recovered and handed over to police. The two others could not be identified sofar. Defence spokesman added that search for remaining was going on.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page