December 2005 News

Al-Badar 'Distt Commdr' killed in Bemina

25 December 2005
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Special Correspondent

Srinagar: In a major operation, Police and security forces today eliminated Al-Badar Mujahideen’s top-wanted 'district commander', Waseem alias Jatoi, in Bemina outskirts of this Capital city. With this, Srinagar Police have killed as many as 14 Pakistani militants in the last five weeks. Meanwhile, security forces have killed yet another militant in Anantnag district today. Inspector General of Police Kashmir Zone, K Rajendra Kumar, told the Excelsior that Srinagar District Police had gathered an intelligence input regarding the presence of a top-wanted Pakistani militant in Bemina outskirts on Friday. He said that after identifying his hideout, Police and CRPF swooped on Boatmen Colony in the wee hours today. The militant was traced to the house of one Bashir Ahmed Najjar. As Police, CRPF and an Army unit zeroed in on the target house, the holed up militant lobbed grenades to check their advance. Three soldiers of SOG Srinagar and RR sustained injuries. The IGP said that the holed up militant shifted to the house of a head constable, Mohammad Amin Wani, and made unsuccessful attempts to escape. Police and security forces pinned him down and finally shot him dead in the afternoon. He was identified as Waseem alias Jatoi alias Sain of Pakistan. Mr Rajendra claimed that the militant killed in the fierce gunbattle was a 'district commander' in his organisation, Al-Badar Mujahideen. One AK-56 rifle was recovered from his possession. Two residential houses were destroyed completely and six more houses suffered minor damage. However, there was no harm to the civilians’ life. The gunbattle took place close to the residential quarters of the State Estates Department, CPWD and the under-construction Hajj Complex. The IGP Kashmir said that with today’s operation in Bemina, Srinagar District Police had eliminated 14 Pakistani militants, including senior commanders of several guerrilla outfits, in the capital city of Srinagar in the last five weeks. Before the top-wanted Saifullah, who was killed near DAV School in Jawahar Nagar area, Police had killed two important militants in Harwan and Zakoora. The most successful operation was conducted last fortnight, when Police eliminated a group of three Pakistani militants in Soura area. The IGP said that Waseem alias Jatoi of Pakistan, who was killed today in Bemina, had reportedly re-organised his outfit’s units in Srinagar and Budgam districts in the last over a year. He said that the Pakistani militant was also responsible for a number of civilian killings as he had reportedly beheaded his targets. A CRPF spokesman said that the operation in Bemina was planned and executed jointly by Police and security forces under the supervision of IGP Kashmir and DIG Ops CRPF. He said that one AK-56 rifle, one UBGL besides a mobile phone with two SIM cards, were recovered from the eliminated militant’s possession. Incoming and outgoing calls and messages of the cellphone, as also its directory, were being scanned. Unconfirmed reports late tonight said that Police and security forces killed yet another militant in Srinagar outskirts. Meanwhile, reports from south Kashmir said that troops of Rashtriya Rifles 49 Bn killed a local militant of Hizbul Mujahideen, Bashir Ahmed Tantray S-o Mohammad Ramzan Tantray, in an encounter in Dooru area of Anantnag district. Meanwhile, troops of 161 brigade achieved a major success when they unearthed an arms dump in the October 8 killer quake-ravaged area of north Kashmir, a defence ministry spokesman said today. He said troops on a specific information conducted a search operation at Pathri Behak near the Line of Control (LoC) in Rampore area where the killer quake claimed several lives and also damaged houses. It was after a long search that the troops finally reached the area where the militants had dumped arms and ammunition in a specially built hide-out. Troops later recovered three AK rifles, nine pistols, 21 magzines, about 1000 rounds of ammunition, two pistol silencers, eleven detonators and 10 Kg explosive. He said the arms and ammunition were dumped by the militants to transport them to towns and use them against security forces and politicians. Police arrested a militant at Drubgam in Pulwama district of south Kashmir and recovered two AK rifles, the spokesman said.


Return to the Archives 2005 Index Page

Return to Home Page