March 2006 News

LeT commander among four killed in Kashmir

7 March 2006
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: A top commander of Pakistan based Lashkar-e- Toiba (LeT) was among three militants killed by security forces while a powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) was detected and defused on Srinagar-Jammu National Highway, an official spokesman said. Security forces today averted a major tragedy on the Srinagar-Jammu National Highway when they defused a powerful Improvised explosive Device (IED) Militants kidnapped an 11 class student Mashook Ahmad Raina at Kulgam and later chopped off two fingers of his right hand. The student was admitted to hospital, the spokesman said. Official sources said security forces launched a search operation following a tip-off that some militants were holding a meeting at Achabal in south Kashmir district of Anantang. During the operation, militants fired on the search party. The fire was returned and in the ensuing encounter, an LeT commander, Irshad Ahmad Khan alias Abu Khalid alias Gulla was killed. A house was also damaged in the exchange of fire, they said. Sources said the militant was active in south Kashmir. An official spokesman said security forces killed a militant in an encounter at Shokbaba Bandipora in north Kashmir district of Baramulla today. The encounter took place after a search party was attacked by militants. In yet another encounter, a militant was killed by security forces at village Sadoogaga Kandi in the frontier district of Kupwara earlier in the day. The spokesman said a Road Opening Party (RoP) during routine checking, noticed an IED planted by militants at Padgampora Awantipora in Pulwama distict. The bomb disposal squad was immediately summoned and defused the IED without causing any damage. Traffic on the highway was suspended for some time, he said. A woman, Masooda Akhter, who was shot at and wounded by militants at Handwara on November 21, died in the hospital today.


Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page