Independent candidate escapes bid on life
6 April 2006
The Daily Excelsior
Srinagar: Two people were killed while security forces apaprehended a militant and seized arms and ammunition, including 30 Kg of RDX, in the Kashmir valley since last evening, whileas former slain Minister Dr G N Lone's son, Shoaib Lone, who is contesting election as Independent candidate from Sangrama constituency, escaped a militant attack today. Meanwhile, a red alert has been sounded in entire Valley following militants forcibly took away a vehicle and were planning to use it in any terror attack. Independent candidate Shoaib Nabi Lone today escaped a militant attack at Sopore area of Baramulla district while on way to address an election rally, official sources said. A vehicle, which was part of the motorcade of Lone, was hit by a bullet in the rear side while the candidate from Sangrama constituency was going to address a public rally at Tarzoo in Sopore area, the sources said. No one was hurt in the incident, the sources added. Al-Arifeen militant outfit claimed responsibility for the attack. Lone's father, Ghulam Nabi Lone, who was Minister of State for education, was shot dead by militants in an attack at his residence in Tulsibagh area of the city on October 18, 2005. PDP denied Lone a ticket to contest the bypoll from the constituency held by his father and he decided to contest as an independent candidate. Militants shot dead 70-year-old Ghulam Ahmad Ganai, a Village Chowkidar (Watchman), at Harhama in Bijbehara area of South Kashmir's Anantnag district this afternoon, he said. The spokesman said police today recovered a bullet-ridden body of labourer Ram Lakhan, a resident of Ramgarh Khora in Uttar Pradesh, from an orchard near Rawoocha in Dangiwachi area of Baramulla district. Security forces apprehended a militant from Natnoosa in the frontier district of Kupwara last night and seized 30 kg of RDX, one pistol, one magazine, nine rounds, one hand grenade and two detonators from his possession. Meanwhile, an alert has been sounded in the entire Kashmir valley today on the eve of the first anniversary of the launch of the Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service after militants forcibly took away a vehicle in Pulwama district which the security agencies suspect could be used in carrying out a terror attack. A police spokesman said today that three militants forcibly took a white coloured Tata Sumo vehicle from its driver at Pahoo Chak village in Pulwama district of South Kashmir last evening. Police have registered a case and launched a massive hunt to trace the vehicle, he added. Official sources said immediately after the report, an alert was sounded in the entire Kashmir valley. They said security has been further tightened in view of the celebrations to mark the first anniversary of the launch of the Srinagar- Muzaffarabad bus service (Karvaan-e-Mman) tomorrow. The cross-border bus service between divided Kashmir was launched by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh on April 7 last year after nearly 58 years following an agreement between India and Pakistan to allow families separated since 1947 to meet each other. The 170-Km Srinagar-Muzaffarabad road, also known as the Jhelum valley road, was closed for traffic on October 27, 1947 when 'Kabailis (tribesmen)' invaded parts of Jammu and Kashmir which came to be known as Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK). The sources said intelligence reports suggested that militants could use the vehicle for triggering an explosion in the valley. 'We are on high alert and are determined to foil any attempt by the militants to cause large-scale disturbances in the Kashmir valley,' they added. The spurt in car bomb attacks in the past several months has been a cause of worry for the security agencies and shaken the entire security apparatus. Several people have been killed and scores wounded in the car bomb explosions in kashmir over the past several months.