June 2006 News

Two militants among 3 killed

19 June 2006
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Special Correspondent

Srinagar: Two militants were killed in separate encounters at different places in the Valley while as police recovered a body from Tangmarg on Monday. Sources said that a militant was killed in an encounter with the troopers of 2 RR at Khoor-Hanjiveera Pattan in north Kashmir. A joint party of 9RR and Special Task Force laid an ambush after receiving a tip off about the militant. The militant was intercepted and asked to surrender. However, he opened firing at the troops, which was returned and in the ensuing gunfight, the militant was gunned down. Identity and the group affiliation of the slain militant were not established immediately. Sources claimed to have recovered one AK rifle and three magazines from the possession of slain unidentified militant. Another militant was killed in Khrew, Pampore today after an encounter broke out between militants and troopers of 50 RR and police, sources said. Army and Police laid a cordon around Khrew in Pampore after receiving a local input about the presence of militants in the village. The militants hiding in the area, opened fire on the troopers, which was returned and in the ensuing gunfight one unidentified militant was killed. Sources said Army recovered an Identity Card with a photograph pasted on it, from the pocket of slain militant, identifying him as Irshad Ahmed Dar, son of Abdus Salam, of Pulwama. However, sources said that Identity Card was apparently a fake one, while exact identification and group affiliation of the slain militant were being ascertained. Police party in the operation was led by SP Awantipora Sardar Khan under the supervision of DIG Anantnag-Pulwama range Hemant Kumar Lohia. Police recovered body of one Ghulam Mohammed Malla, son of Abdul Ahad, of Rajpura Kunzar, Tangmarg from a stream. The deceased was abducted by unidentified gunmen, suspected to be militants, from his house the other day. Meanwhile, another person, identified as Mohammed Maqbool Parray was kidnapped from his house in Dirish Bagh, Pattan. Security Forces busted a hideout in Badergund forest in Ganderbal area of Srinagar and claimed to have recovered two hand grenades, five magazines, 73 rounds of assorted ammunition and some incriminating documents.


Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page