July 2006 News

Two Pakistanis among 4 ultras eliminated

18 July 2006
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Correspondent

Srinagar: In a day of major successful operations against militants, Army and police today gunned down four militants including two Pakistanis who had recently infiltrated from Tarkundi in Manjakote sector of Rajouri district and the one who was involved in Sunday night's attack on Mendhar police station in separate encounters. Another Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tariq alias Sadiq, who was a close associate of HM commander Billoo Gujjar, was arrested by security forces in Gool last night. SSP Rajouri Farooq Khan said troops of 7 Kumaon, 3-11 Gorkha Rifles and police intercepted a group of militants, which had recently crossed over into Indian territory after cutting barbed wire at Tarkundi in Manjakote sector, at 8.30 pm, last night. A hide and seek battle between militants and security forces continued till 9.20 am today when a direct contact was established with the ultras. At 11.30 am, two militants, both Pakistanis, were eliminated by security personnel. Search operation in the area was still on with Army and police hunting the other infiltrators. As reported by the Excelsior, a group of 10 to 12 militants was reported to have intruded into this side of LoC after cutting fencing from Tarkundi on Saturday night. On Friday night, another group of ultras had infiltrated from Balnoi in Balakote sector in Poonch district. Recoveries made from the slain militants include two AK rifles, one pistol, one UBGL launcher with six grenades, one radio set, one Thoraya satellite telephone, one 1121H radio set and 11 AK magazines. Identity of slain militants hasn't been established so far. Troops have detained three persons for questioning from Tarkundi on the charges that they had given shelter to the infiltrators. They have been identified as Tufail, his son Gafoor and son-in-law Khalil R-o Pariali, Tarkundi. Another encounter took place between troops of 37 Rashtriya Rifles, Special Operations Group (SOG) and police with a group of militants, who had attacked Gursai police station on Sunday night, at Ari in Mendhar tehsil of Poonch district at 2 pm today. The militants were trying to escape after the attack. At 3.15 pm, one of the militant, who was later identified as Abu Salam of Lashkar-e-Toiba, was gunned down by the troops. One AK-47 rifle, two magazines, two grenades and some eatables were recovered from the scene of encounter. Brigadier D S Negi of 14 Sector Rashtriya Rifles and SSP Poonch Shiv Darshan Singh Jamwal supervised the operation. Other militants, involved in Gursai police station attack in which a constable Mohd Yasin was killed, are being searched by the security personnel. A Hizbul Mujahideen militant Mohd Shafi son of Rustam Khan R-o Bress Wana, Doda, was gunned down by Army and police in an encounter at Jaghot Top forests in Doda early this morning. From his possession, the security personnel recovered one Chinese pistol with six rounds, one Airtel mobile telephone, one Kenwood wireless set, one binocular, one UBGL with three rounds and four live cartridges of 12 bore rifle. Militants opened firing on a police party at Khar Rawa in Bhim Dass area of Gool last night. Militants also fired few shots aiming Gool police station. Police and security forces retaliated. After the exchange of firing, one local militant, Tariq alias Sadiq son of Sher Mohd R-o Sunibarh (code 05), an activist of Hizbul Mujahideen, was captured alive by security forces and police. Another militant, Zulfikar was injured in the encounter but he managed to escape. Sources said Sadiq was a close associate of Hizbul Mujahideen 'commander' Billoo Gujjar and was active in militancy since 2000. From the arrested militant, the security personnel recovered one AK-56 rifle, four magazines, 117 rounds, one hand grenade, one pistol round, one wireless set and Rs 300 in Indian currency.


Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page