August 2006 News

JeM strikes twice, kills four CRPF, BSF jawans

1 August 2006
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Militants of Pakistan-based Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) struck twice killing four security personnel in Srinagar when the Legislative Assembly and Council sessions were on. Elsewhere in Kashmir, two militants and a security jawan were among four people killed while security forces arrested five ultras, including two top commanders of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) during the last 24 hours. An official spokesman said that at 1130 hours, militants shot at two Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) personnel at Dalgate. He said one of the constable Mohammad Aziz died on the spot while constable Kapil Kumar succumbed on way to hospital. A civilian was also injured in the attack which took place near a crowded bus stop in area. The area was cordoned off but the attackers escaped before that. Later, militants struck at Kaka Sarai in the High Security Old City killing two Border Security Force (BSF) personnel from point blank range near a medical shop. The deceased were identified as Head Constable Ram Avtar and Constable Sanjay Kumar. This was the first major strike in the city by the militants after a series of grenade blast left more than dozen were killed and scores injured on July 11. A spokesman of JeM has claimed responsibility for both the attacks. Police have recently claimed to have arrested two Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) Commander Mudasir and Bengali. They also claimed to have smashed two modules of LeT and Hizbul Mujahideen active in the city. Meanwhile, a Police Constable and two militants, including a Pakistani national, were killed in an overnight encounter in Pulwama district, officials said today. Pakistani national Akash Pathan and local resident Aijaz Ahmad Dar were shot dead by security forces in the gunbattle at Chidipora in Shopian, they said. Constable S Choudhary was killed and another injured in the initial firing between the two sides which began last evening, they added. Body of a carpet weaver Fayaz Ahmad, who went missing two days ago, was recovered from Sumbal area of Baramulla district today, the sources said. Residents of the area took to streets soon after the body of the deceased was handed over to his next of kins and staged a demonstration and demanded a probe blaming Army for the killing of the youth. Meanwhile, a self-styled District Commander of Hizbul Mujahideen has been arrested by police in Badgam district, official sources said today. Hizbul Commander for Shopian District Mohammad Shafi Parray was arrested late last night from a house in Nowgan area, they added. In a major breakthrough, the spokesman said Police arrested self-styled Divisional Commander of Hizbul Mujahideen Fayaz Ahmad Dar alias Saleem Khan from Sopore. Dar was longest surviving militant, had crossed over to Pakistan in 1990. He was elevated as Divisional Commander of the outfit in North Kashmir this year. An AK rifle, a wireless set, three grenades, one UBGL with seven grenades, a pistol, a passport and a stamp of Hizbul was recovered from him.


Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page