October 2006 News

Infiltration bids foiled; 9 militants killed

22 October 2006
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Nine people, including eight militants, were killed while security forces foiled two attempts of infiltration from across the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir during the past 24 hours, official sources said today. Elsewhere in the Valley, security forces arrested six militants and seized a large cache of arms and ammunition while militants damaged a Railway bridge on the Qazigund-Baramulla track. Security forces foiled an infiltration bid in the Uri sector last evening when they gunned down three Pakistani intruders. The sources said troops noticed some suspicious movement along the LoC at Limber Gali near Boniyar in the Uri Sector . When the intruders reached a particular place, troops challenged and asked them to surrender. However, ignoring the security forces call the militants opened fire on the troops which was effectively retaliated. In the ensuing encounter, three infiltrators were killed, they said, adding three AK rifle, nine AK magazines, 64 rounds of AK ammunitions, two hand grenades, one GPS and other war-like stores were seized from them. Security forces foiled another infiltration bid in Kanzalwan area of Gurez Sector in North Kashmir's Baramulla district when they killed two intruders immediately after they crossed the LoC from Pakistan- Occupied Kashmir (PoK). Two AK rifles and other arms and ammunition were seized from the slain intruders. The sources said two more militants were killed by troops in the Machil sector of Kupwara district last evening, raising the number of militants killed since intervening night of October 18-19 to six. Four infiltrators had been killed yesterday as the gun-battle raged on for several days because of heavy snowfall in the area. A senior security force official said about 5000 militants were waiting across the border to sneak into this side before the infiltration routes get closed due to heavy snowfall on high mountain peaks. However, he said, security forces guarding the border were alert to foil any such attempt by the militants. More than 50 infiltrators have been killed by troops since January this year. Several ex-filtration attempts have also been foiled. About 60 Kashmiri youths were arrested by security forces and the State police before they could sneak into PoK after being forcibly recruited by different militant outfits in the Valley during the past six months. Security forces also shot dead a militant during an encounter at Nagreb Bagh village in Baramulla district last evening. Troops arrested Maqbool Ahmad Dar of Mohandpora in Central Kashmir district of Badgam. He was being kept at the Kanidajan Army camp for questioning. Dar developed some health problem yesterday and was rushed to an Army camp at Qasba Nagam for medical aid. However, Dar died before any medical aid could be given to him. Militants damaged a Railway bridge on the Qazigund-Baramulla track when they triggered a powerful IED at Repora, Palhalan in Pattan area of Baramulla district. The bridge was partially damaged due to the blast. However, there was no loss of life in the explosion. Security forces also apprehended a militant during a search operation at Yaripora village in Anantnag district. On his tip off, five more ultras were arrested and six Kg of RDX, three electric detonators, two electric circuits and four UBGL grenades were seized from them. Apart from that, security forces seized one pistol with magazine, one AK magazine, 15 hand grenades, nine IED circuits, nine IED batteries, two sealed boxes containing 7.6 mm cartridges, two wireless sets and about 1100 rounds during a search operation at Khadiyan forest in the Keran Sector of North Kashmir's Kupwara district. Meanwhile, Moulana Shoukat Ahmad Shah, head of a religious organisation, had a narrow escape today when an unidentified youth shot at him while he was on his way home here, official sources said. Shah, Chief of Jamiat-e- Ahlihadees was going to his house from the Barbarshah Headquarters of the organisation when a pistol-borne youth fired at him in Kralikhud area of the city, they said. They said a single-shot was fired by the gunman around 4 pm but Shah escaped unhurt. The gunman fled the scene taking advantage of panic which followed the shooting, the sources said. JeA was a constituent of separatist Hurriyat Conference before its split in September 2003. However, after the formation of hardline and moderate groups, the organisation remained neutral and didnot support any of the two amalgams. Meanwhile, police today claimed to have foiled a fidayeen (suicide) attack by militants in Sopore area. Giving details, Superintendent of Police (SP) Kupwara, Vijay Kumar said Police arrested a militant, Akhtar Ahmed Khan, in Kupwara town this morning. On sustained interrogation, he revealed that a group of militants had planned to carry out a fidayeen attack on a security forces' camp in any part of either Baramulla or Kupwara district today. The SP said Khan further revealed that the militants, about five in number, were moving in a Tata Sumo. Mr Kumar said acting on his tip off, the Special Operation Group (SOG) personnel and troops of 6 Rashtriya Rifles (RR) intercepted the Tata Sumo at Model Town in Sopore area of this district in the afternoon. On being challenged, the militants opened fire on the security forces which was retaliated, he added. The SP said in the ensuing gunfight, one militant, Mohammad Ashraf Lone, was killed while his five other associates were apprehended. 'Thus, we were able to avert a fidayeen attack,' he claimed. Meanwhile militants hurled the grenade towards Sopore Police Station at around 1 pm which landed on its roof and exploded with a bang, the sources said. They said the blast slightly damaged a portion of the tin roof of the Police Station. Security forces immediately cordoned off the area and launched a hunt to nab those involved in the grenade attack, the sources said. No militant outfit has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. Meanwhile, panic gripped Kaka Mohalla of Nowhatta in downtown Srinagar this afternoon after a suspicious object was found on the main road by a police patrol party. Suspecting the object to be a bomb, police blocked traffic movement on the road and summoned a bomb disposal squad. Bomb experts took away the object after ensuring that no explosive was planted inside, the sources said.


Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page