October 2006 News

Two killed, militant network busted

23 October 2006
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Two persons were killed while a Police Station was attacked in Kashmir during the past 24 hours. An official spokesman said militants detonated a powerful Improvised Explosive Device (IED) in JK Cable Network Office at Tarzoo near the Sopore Bus Stand in North Kashmir's Baramulla district at around 1720 hrs today. The building caught fire due to the blast as a resulted of which a 26-year-old person, Parvez Ahmad Mir, was killed, he added. A fire service personnel also sustained injuries while dousing the blaze. A Police personnel, Ghulam Hassan, who was wounded in a militant attack at Lal Chowk on October 15, succumbed at the Sher-E-Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences (SKIMS), Soura here this morning. Constable Ghulam Mohiuddin had died on the spot, in the attack carried out by Jaish-e-Mohammad militants. Meanwhile, with the killing of a lashkar- e-toiba ultra and arrest of six others, police today claimed to have busted a militant network allegedly supported by a ruling people's democratic party leader in kupwara district. In a joint operation, police and troops of Rashtriya Rifles apprehended one Akhter Hussain Khan from Bumhama area of Kupwara district and seized six hand grenades and a radio set from his possession yesterday, an official spokesman said. On the information provided by Khan, an operation was launched to nab six militants who were travelling in a vehicle belonging to a PDP leader, he said. Sources said the vehicle belonged to Zonal President of PDP Ghulam Hassan Rather. 'On being intercepted, one of the militants, Mohammad Ashraf Lone opened fire on security forces,' the spokesman said, adding Lone was killed in retaliatory firing yesterday. A pistol, two magazines and 14 rounds were seized from him. Five other Lashkar militants- identified as Ulfat Hussain Shiekh, Imtiyaz Ahmad Hajam, Shiekhul Islam, Waqar Ahmad Mir and Javed Ahmad Dar - were arrested and eight grenades, one radio set, one pistol, one magazine and 16 pistol rounds were seized from them. The spokesman said the six were waiting for Khan at Sopore to carry out an attack at some place. Although the police accused the PDP leader of being a militant sympathiser, who had provided 'all kinds of' assistance to the outfit, no action has been taken against him. The PDP leader, however, said the youth killed by the security forces was a Special Police Officer provided to him as a Personal Security Officer by Police department. None of the five persons, who were travelling with Lone at the time of the encounter, were injured in the shootout. The spokesman said all the militants were involved in a number of grenade attacks in Sopore town and in smuggling of arms and ammunition. A case has been registered and investigations were on, he added. Meanwhile,five persons were injured in a grenade blast while militants made an abortive bid to blow up Police Station in North Kashmir overnight, official sources said today. Militants today hurled a hand grenade towards security forces at Sopore in this north kashmir district. However, it missed the intended target and exploded on the roadside causing injuries to five civilians. The injured were admitted to hospital. Militants fired a grenade towards Police Station Sopore last night which exploded on the roof causing minor damage to it. However, no one was injured. The sound of the blast was heard in the entire main town causing panic among large number of people present in the market for Eid shopping. However, normalcy returned in the area after about an hour.


Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page