December 2006 News

JE blown up in powerful Srinagar blast

29 December 2006
The Daily Excelsior
Excelsior Correspondent

Srinagar: A 26-year-old junior engineer died in a major IED blast at Mirza Kamil Sahib Chowk in Hawal area of Srinagar city today. Informed sources told the EXCELSIOR that a powerful IED, planted in the boundary wall of a graveyard at Mirza Kamil Sahib Chowk in Hawal locality, went off with a deafening explosion at 1015 hours today. While the boundary wall was demolished, 26-year-old Junior Engineer (JE), Shabir Hussain Khan S-o Showkat Ali Khan R-o Bagwanpora, Lal Bazar, was directly hit on his motorcycle. He died on the spot. Eyewitnesses said that parts of his head were blown off. Glasses and shutters of over a dozen residential houses and shops were shattered to smithereens. One parked car and two two-wheelers were also damaged in the blast though none of the pedestrians or motorists was injured. Eyewitnesses said that a large number of people had a narrow escape. Even as a CRPF naka was at a distance, there was apparently no specific target when the blast occurred. Residents said that the young JE was on way to Mughal Darbar bakery to buy breads and sweets when he was hit and faced the main brunt of the blast. With a married sister, Shabir was the lonely son of his parents. A pall of gloom descended on Bagwanpora locality when the JE's dead body reached there in minutes of his departure, a couple of days before the festival of Eid-ul-Azha. Residents said that the young JE got killed months after a young man as also a young woman of the same locality died in separate blasts earlier this year. No militant outfit had claimed responsibility of causing the IED blast till late tonight. In the last 17 years of secessionist militancy, nobody has owned up blasts in which only the innocent civilians become the victim. Since the militants are widely suspected to have planted the bomb, none of the politicians or so-called human rights activists issued any statement in protest or condemnation. Reports from north Kashmir said that Police recovered the dead body of 17- year old Irfan Ahmed Gujri S-o Ghulam Mohammad R-o Malapora, Pattan, from the same locality today. Residents and officials said that the youth was not mentally sound. Meanwhile, Police in Shopian area of south Kashmir have claimed to have recovered one Nazir Ahmed Wagay son-in-law of Mohammad Abdullah R-o Chak Sedhau from the clutches of his kidnappers. Sources said that a night after Wagay was kidnapped from his residence, Police conducted a raid on Wathoo locality and recovered him unharmed. All the three kidnappers were taken into custody and detained after a case of abduction was registered against them. They were identified as Mohammad Yusuf Haji S-o Ghulam Rasool R-o Bongam, Abdur Rasheed Bhat S-o Mohammad Ramzan Bhat R-o Wathoo and Mohammad Yusuf Wagay S-o Assadullah Wagay R-o Kanipora, Shopian. Reports said that Mohammad Yusuf Haji was a senior activist of Youth Congress who had also unsuccessfully contested last year's civic body election in Shopian town. Unconfirmed reports described him as District President of Youth Congress. Police sources said that Haji and his associates had subjected Wagay, a small time bovine animal dealer, to physical torture. As residents of Wathoo heard screams from the house of one Abdur Rehman Bhat, they informed Police which conducted a raid, rescued Wagay and arrested the three kidnappers.


Return to the Archives 2006 Index Page

Return to Home Page