May 2007 News

Two militants killed, two arrested

15 May 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Troops killed two militants and arrested 2 others while as three CRPF personnel were injured in a blast triggered by militants in Kashmir overnight. A Police spokesman said, security forces and police killed two Lashkar-e-Toiba militants at Waterhal in the Central Kashmir district of Badgam this evening. Two AK rifles and other arms and ammunition were recovered near the site of encounter. A CRPF spokesman said that militants triggered an IED, which was planted on the roadside, targetting a CRPF vehicle of 185 batallion at Hindoora, Tral, about 40 km from here in south Kashmir district of Pulwama this afternoon. He said three CRPF pesonnel were injured in the blast which also damaged the vehicle. The injured, admitted to the Army base hospital here, were stable, he added. The entire area was immediately cordoned off and a massive hunt launched to nab the militants responsible for the blast. Senior Superintendent of Police (SSP), Kupwara, said police conducted a search operation after receiving information about the presence of militants at Kupwara early this morning. During the operation, they arrested Shabir Ahmed Bhat alias Owais Karim of the HM outfit and Hilal Ahmad Bhat of Al-Badr. He said Shabir had joined militancy in 2001 and was involved in several militancy acts. One AK-47 rifle, four magazines and 110 rounds of ammunition had been recovered from his possession, he added. The Police also recovered one hand grenade and a wireless from the possession of Hilal. A police spokesman said an explosion took place near the house of one Ashiq Ahmad Mir at Sunderpora Lone Harie, causing injuries to his son Adil Ahmad Mir. He has been hospitalised, he added. Meanwhile, militants made an abortive bid to blow up an under-construction Railway track with an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) in Anantnag district today. The IED, weighing five kgs, was detected by a joint patrol party of police and CRPF near the under-construction railway track at Lakhtipora in Bijbehara area of Anantnag district, official sources said. A bomb disposal squad was immediately summoned and the IED was subsequently neutralised, foiling the attempt to blow up the Railway track, they said. Work on Qazigund-Baramulla Railway Line was going on in full swing and is expected to be operational by the end of this year. Troops of 20-JAK rifles stationed at Chuntwaliwar Machil recovered a large quantity of arms ammunition in the general area of Bohinar near the Line of Control (LoC). The recovery included, one pika gun, four AK-47 rifles, one AK rifle-Bulgaria make, two 30 mm mouser pistols, AK magazines, three pistol magazine, three wireless sets, 141 rounds pika ammunition, 1415 rounds AK ammunition, 63 rounds of pistol ammunition and 400 grams charas. However, no one was arrested, spokesman said. Meanwhile, two labourers died of suffocation while they were cleaning a Sewage tank on the city outskirts last evening, police said today. They said Abdul Hamid Akhoon and Manzoor Ahmad Gunjoo died of asphyxiation when they were cleaning the sewage tank at Habak on the city outskirts last evening. During the cleaning, another labourer, Ali Mohammad Doji, had also fallen unconscious. He was rushed to a hospital and discharged after first aid, police said.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page