July 2007 News

Another Militant Surrenders After His Return From PoK

2 July 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Uri: Majority youths, who had gone to Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK) for receiving arms training in the 1990s, were now eager to return to restart a normal and honourable life, a militant who surrendered before troops here early this morning said. Confirming that a large number of youths from different cities of Pakistan and PoK besides from other countries were receiving arms training in a number of camps set up across the border, the militant said Kashmiris were not being trusted anymore in these camps. The militant Showkat Ahmed Rather a resident of Sopore, in Baramulla district of north Kashmir gave a slip to camp officials and after trekking several kms on foot through difficult terrain and thick forest, finally crossed to this side of the border at Uri. 'I was not afraid of getting killed by Indian troops once I crossed the Line of Control (LoC),' he said, adding that life across the border was worse than death. He said hundreds of Kashmiri youths in different camps were praying to God to help them return to their homes here because of ill-treatment from camp officials. He said a good number of Kashmiri youths had married girls in PoK since a majority of local male residents were working in different Arab countries. The militant said majority girls were more educated than males in PoK. He said it hardly matters whether he would be jailed or allowed to lead a normal life by the authorities as his main aim was to return from PoK which was worse than hell. Almost all the Kashmiri youths, still in PoK, were eager to return and reunite with their family members once again and lead a peaceful life, the militant said. He said a large number of militants were waiting in launching pads near the LoC to infiltrate into this side. About 100 militants and their family members surrendered before security forces, mostly in Uri sector, during the past two years. More than 20 militants were gunned down by the security forces immediately after they crossed into this side from across the border in Jammu and Kashmir during the past two weeks. Meanwhile, police today foiled militant attempts to cause large scale disturbances in the Kashmir valley when they detected and defused two Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) and a live grenade at different places. A police patrol party noticed an unclaimed parcel at crowded Bonbazar in Shopian district this afternoon. The area was immediately sealed and all those present in the area were shifted to safer places. Later, a Bomb Disposal Squad was summoned and the 5 kg IED was defused without causing any damage. Another IED, planted in a water pipe, was detected and later defused by the police at Rajpora in Pulwama district while a live hand grenade was defused at Gund-e-Kangan. Had the IEDs and grenade not been detected and defused in time, it would have caused major damage to life and property.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page