July 2007 News

Longest Surviving LeT Ultra Reveals Plan Of Air Attack

8 July 2007
The Daily Excelsior
Sanjeev Pargal

Jammu: One of the few longest surviving militants, who has recently returned from Pakistan after 20 years, has said that a special batch of militants was being trained in Mujahid camp near Samani jail of Pakistan to launch rocket and air gun attacks on helicopters. This group, according to him, was likely to be pushed to Kashmir. Sakhi Mohd son of Mir Mohd, a resident of Digwar in Poonch district was just 20 and was among the first few batches which left for arms training in Pakistan in 1987. He had crossed over to Pakistan occupied Kashmir (PoK) through Mendhar sector. Sakhi Mohd was captured by security forces when he was returning to Indian side after spending more than 20 years in Pakistan and PoK in forward village of Lam in Nowshera sector of Rajouri district the other day. He was arrested along with an AK rifle, magazines and some documents. This was his first trip to his home State after 20 years. Official sources said Sakhi Mohd, now 40 had no intentions to 'wage jehad' in Jammu and Kashmir at this age and had carried an AK rifle with him only for his protection from the militants of Lashkar-e- Toiba (LeT) outfit, who, according to him, used to patrol along LoC with Pakistan army to ensure that no person managed to cross over to this side without their permission. Sakhi Mohd disclosed, that this latest technique was being used by Pakistan army and Lashkar commanders to counter a sudden spurt in surrenders especially after infiltration, recently witnessed in Kupwara district and other places in Kashmir valley. An important disclosure made by the veteran militant was that a group of militants was being trained by Pakistan army and Lashkar commanders jointly at Mujahid camp in Samani jail for launching rocket and air gun attacks on helicopters, which is generally considered a war tactic. Sakhi Mohd stayed in Mujahid camp for 15 days but was later asked to shift to PoK capital in Muzaffarabad for training militant groups in handling of sophisticated weapons like AK rifles, Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and grenades. Sakhi disclosed that he spent some part of his life in Kotli, Muzaffarabad, Rawalpindi and Sialkot jails as he insisted on returning to Poonch with a plan to surrender. This irked the LeT leadership which got him arrested by police along with explosive devices, leading him to jail. However, he broke down in the jail and finally agreed to work on the dictates of LeT leadership. Sources said Sakhi Mohd, who could be among the few longest surviving militants, had made an attempt to infiltrate to Indian side in 2005 but was caught by Pakistan army on the Line of Control (LoC) opposite to Mendhar sector and handed over him back to Lashkar commanders. Sources said sustained questioning of Sakhi Mohd was on and he was likely to be sent to Joint Interrogation Centre (JIC) to ascertain more clues about the activities of Lashkar and other outfits in Pakistan as he was the only militant so far who has returned after spending 20 years across the border.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page