July 2007 News

Sixty Kg Of Explosives, Other Arms Seized

14 July 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: In one of the biggest such seizures in recent times, security forces unearthed a huge arms haul, including 60 kg of explosives, nine assault rifles and 11 Chinese pistols, at a house in Baramulla district of Jammu and Kashmir today, a senior police officer said. The recovery was made from specially-built hideouts in the house of one Ghulam Mohammad Teli at Sherabad-Khour in Pattan, 27 kms from here on Srinagar-Baramulla National Highway, Deputy Inspector General of Police, north Kashmir, B Srinivas said. He said the house owner, a carpenter by profession, was apprehended during the operation which was jointly conducted by Rashtriya Rifles and police following specific information. Two hideouts behind the walls of the house were busted by the search parties which led to the recovery of nine ak assault rifles, 24 magazines, 4400 rounds, 11 chinese pistols and 23 magazines with 147 rounds. Sixty kg of explosives, 10 mortars, seven RPG (rocket propelled grenade) boosters, one Under- Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) grenade, one hand-grenade, 40 electronic detonators, ten remote control switches and 100 pika rounds were also seized, the officer said. About the explosives, he said it is premature to say whether the seized material is RDX. 'We can come to a conclusion once it is tested by experts,' he added. The DIG said it was not immediately known which militant outfit was using the two hideouts for dumping the weapons. 'Teli is being questioned...Once his questioning is complete, a detailed picture would emerge,' srinivas said. However, he said the recovery has definitely dealt a severe blow to militants' plan to step up violence. 'It (the recovery) is a major success for us,' he said adding, 'this is the biggest haul of arms and ammunition from a residential house in the recent years'. In another joint operation, Army troops and police recovered 20 kg of explosives from an orchard at Galakal in Baramulla district today, a defence spokesman said. However, no one was arrested during the operation, he said.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page