August 2007 News

3 Militants Killed In Valley

9 August 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Police today dealt a major blow to Hizbul Mujahideen by killing a senior commander of the outfit at Kulgam. Two other militants, whose identity was yet to be established, were killed in a separate encounter at Tral. Sources said that police and troops of 1-RR laid siege around Mantribug village in Kulgam on Wednesday night after they received information about the presence of militants in the village. All exit and entry routes of the village were sealed and outside movement was completely restricted. SP Kulgam S P Pani said that militants attempted to escape from the village on Thursday morning, which was foiled by the troops. He said this led to an encounter in which Sabzar Ahmad alias Muzamil son of Ghulam Rasool Malik resident of Rakh Momin Arwani was killed. He said that Muzamil was a battalion commander of Hizbul Mujahideen. He was reportedly an expert in IED manufacturing and was involved in several attacks on security forces in the area. 'It is a big blow to Hizbul Mujahideen as Sabzar was an expert in manufacturing IEDs', the SP said. He added that another activist of the outfit Pinto Rashid of Tong Yaripora was arrested. Another Hizb activist, Mudasir Ahmad Mir alias Jahangir, present in the village, however, succeeded in giving slip to security forces. Police sources said that search for Jahangir was on. In a separate incident, two militants were killed in a clash with Awantipora Police, 185-CRPF and 42-RR at Midoora in Tral. Sources said that police and troops launched an operation in the village on a specific information. The militants, who were hiding in a house, opened firing on security forces. DSP Awantipora Mohammad Rashid said that police and troops returned the fire and the exchange of fire continued for the whole day. 'Two militants were found killed when the clash ended in the evening', he said. The DSP said that identity of the slain militants was being ascertained. SP Sardar Khan said that huge cache of arms and ammunition was recovered from the encounter site. Eyewitnesses said that four residential houses were damaged in the operation. They belonged to Ghulam Mohiuddin Malik, Ghulam Rasool Mir, Ghulam Qadir Gojri and Ghulam Hassan Lone. Militants fired upon at a convoy of Army at Sheeri near Baramulla on Thursday. Army also returned the fire. Sources said that exchange of fire lasted about 15 minutres. However, there was no report of any casualty. Lashkar-e-Toiba has claimed responsibility for the attack. A spokesman of the outfit Dr Abdullah Gaznawi told Excelsior on telephone that activists of his group were involved in the attack. Security forces averted a major tragedy at Gel, Sheeri in Baramulla by detecting a landmine on Baramulla-Uri highway. They defused the IED without causing any damage.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page