August 2007 News

Two LeT Militants, Civilian Killed

20 August 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Two militants of Lashkar-e-Toiba outfit and a civilian were killed in Kashmir valley where ultras made an abortive attempt to target a police station. An official spokesman said that two LeT militants were killed in a day-long encounter with security forces at Ganevpora-Hablipora village in Shopian district. The encounter broke out this morning when police assisted by Rashtriya Rifles launched a search operation in the village following information about presence of militants. In another incident, militants shot at and injured a farmer at Bonigam-Haripora village in Shopian district. The injured, Zahoor Ahmad Mir, was shifted to hospital where he succumbed to injuries, the spokesman said. Militants fired a rifle grenade towards Pattan Police Station in Baramulla district in the wee hours but the explosive went off in the mid-air near the roof of the police station without causing any damage. Meanwhile, a defence spokesman said two Over Ground Workers of militants were arrested from Ganderbal district. Troops of Rashtriya Rifles alongwith police apprehended an individual based on inputs regarding movement of militants in a vehicle at Safapur-Manasbal in Ganderbal district. The vehicle was intercepted and the individual along with the vehicle was handed over to police for questioning. In yet another operation in Sumbal area of Ganderbal, the spokesman said one person was apprehended by Rashtriya Rifle based on inputs from their own sources. The person is an Over Ground Worker who was acting as guide and harbouring and providing logistic support to militants. The spokesman said that an Army jawan was killed and another injured in an accidental explosion inside a camp in Bandipora district. The explosion, inside the camp of Rashtriya Rifles at Sunderbani, was the result of accidental discharge of a weapon, Army spokesman Lt Col A K Mathur said. The shell of a grenade launcher went off when one of the two jawans, who were assembling the weapons, pull the trigger accidentally, resulting the explosion. The condition of the injured jawan was stated to be stable, he said. Official sources said the blast was so powerful that its big bang was heard even five km away from the camp, sparking panic among the people. After hearing the huge explosion, people started fleeing to their homes fearing a militant attack on the camp. However, as there was no subsequent reaction, the people came out and found the window panes of a local mosque and some residential houses outside the camp smashed under the impact of the blast, the sources said. Soon, a helicopter was pressed into service and the injured jawan was evacuated to hospital.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page