September 2007 News

One Killed, 5 Hurt In Blast

3 September 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: One person was killed and five others were wounded when an unexploded shell of 21 Field Ordnance Depot went off at Khundroo this afternoon.Official sources said the unexploded shell in the compound of a villager, identified as Ama, went off killing one person and injuring five others. Hundreds of unexploded shells were recently detected and defused by over one hundred members of the Bomb Disposal Squad (BDS) in about 15 villages around the Ordnance Depot at Khundroo which was gutted in a devastating fire causing thousands of blasts on August 11. The villages were recently declared safe for the return of thousands of villagers who migrated from their houses after the fire in which 22, including an Army Major and 15 fire fighters were killed and scores wounded. A Kashmiri soldier of Territorial Army (TA) has sustained minor injuries even as militants have dismantled a shop in an IED blast at Bumhama in Kupwara outskirts today. Sources said that suspected militants caused an IED blast inside the shop of Army contractor Ghulam Mohiuddin of Darpora Lolab at Bumhama in the periphery of Kupwara town today when soldiers of road opening party of Rashtriya Rifles 33 Bn were as usual occupying the structure for maintaining surveillance on the road. Sources said that the shop was dismantled but its RCC slab did not crush even after crashing on the floor. Rifleman Manzoor Ahmed, a resident of Handwara who has joined TA 160 Bn and has been attached to RR 33 Bn, sustained minor injury. He was the only soldier who was on the RCC terrace when the blast took place. Spokesman of Lashkar-e-Toiba Dr Abdullah Ghaznavi claimed responsibility on behalf of his organisation and insisted that four soldiers had died and one more injured in the blast. He said that militants had planted an IED inside the structure which was every day used by ROP for maintaining surveillance on the road. They caused the blast when troops were ascending on the terrace. He claimed that troops in a convoy had opened fire on the motorcade of Minister Peerzada Sayeed yesterday after suffering casualties at the hands of militants at Potkhah near Sopore. Meanwhile, troops of 7 Garhwal handed over an AK-56 rifle and a human organ to Police Post Kalaroos while claiming that they had killed a militant in an encounter. However, Police retained only the rifle and returned the organ with the argument that no militant had died in any incident of firing in Sonapindi area where troops claimed that the gunbattle had taken place. Reports from south Kashmir said that a brief encounter took place between militants and armed forces near Kharwara in Shopian. However, there were no reports of any casualty.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page