September 2007 News

Hunt For HM Militant Talakh In City

8 September 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Jammu: A Hizbul Mujahideen 'commander' Fayyaz Ahmed Talakh alias Tallah has gone underground in the City here soon after the arrest of Nahida Altaf, a Law student and an active Hizbul Mujahideen militant and her associate Altaf Ahmed from Gounthal, Surankote. A massive hunt has been launched for Talakh in different localities of the City. Nahida Altaf's second day of questioning has revealed that it was not only Saifullah Qari and Zaffar Iqbal, two top Pakistani militants, who had been operating from Janipura but Nahida too had to hand over the consignment of explosives to Talakh in a rented house at Janipura main stop where she used to visit from Dogra Law College hostel to stay with her parents-Altaf Hussain, a police head constable posted in Police Control Room (PCR), Jammu and Zebun Nissa, HoD DIET Poonch- on Sunday. Qari, a Jaish 'divisional commander', who was eliminated by SOG Jammu and police and Zaffar Iqbal, who was injured in the same encounter, had also been putting up at Hyderpora, Janipura for 25 days when they were trapped. Nahida Altaf was arrested yesterday along with her parents at Tanda on Sunderbani-Akhnoor border as soon as she entered the territory of Jammu district from Surankote in a Maruti car driven by her father. A rifle grenade launcher (UBGL) and eight grenades were recovered from a bag which the 21 year old girl had hidden in car's dickey with the consent of her parents. After two days questioning, police today freed Nahida's parents as their involvement in militancy didn't surface. Official sources told the Excelsior after day long interrogation of Nahida Altaf that Fayyaz Ahmed Talakh alias Tallah son of Abdul Rashid Talakh, a resident of Maliknag, Anantnag in Kashmir valley, a top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen, had been camping in Jammu City frequently changing small hotels for last four days. Talakh, who was recently released after four years in jail for his involvement in militancy along with an Afghani, had to collect the consignment of explosives from Nahida in the rented house of her parents at Janipura Main Stop tomorrow (Sunday). Nahida told police that she used to visit her parents on Saturday evening from the hostel of Dogra Law College, where she was a third year student, and stayed with them on Sunday. As soon as Nahida disclosed Talakh's presence in the City, police and SOG teams fanned out in different directions especially searching small hotels in the city where Talakh could be hiding. Two teams have also been sent to Srinagar and Anantnag where he had his business following reports that he might have managed to escape to the Kashmir valley this morning after getting a report of Nahida's arrest. Talakh, according to sources, owned Talakh Bakery at Lal Chowk, Srinagar and a canteen at Boys higher secondary school in Dayalgam. Another important disclosure made today by Nahida Altaf was that she had been working for Hizbul Mujahideen for last more than one and a half year. She had confessed having met Altaf Ahmed, who had given her the consignment of explosives in Surankote yesterday morning, at Kot Bhalwal jail five to six times posing herself as Altaf's cousin. Altaf, as reported, was released only a couple of months back after eight years from Kot Bhalwal jail for his involvement in a grenade attack at Surankote bus stand and other incidents. However, after his release Altaf had rejoined the Hizbul Mujahideen outfit. Besides Altaf, sources said, Nahida had also met some other militants as well in Kot Bhalwal jail but their identity has not been gathered so far. Nahida told police that for every task-carrying explosives' consignments or conveying messages of militants-she was being paid Rs 25,000. She used to be in touch with militants with her mobile telephone, which was seized by police at the time of her arrest along with the explosives' consignment.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page