September 2007 News

6 Militants, Soldier Killed

10 September 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: In a day of wiping out four infiltrating militants in Machhil sector of Kupwara district, security forces have killed four more militants close to LoC in Uri-Gulmarg belt in Baramulla district of north Kashmir. While two more militants have died in an encounter with security forces at Sherhama, Mawar, in Handwara area, at least one soldier has been reportedly killed in yet again gunfight with militants in Rajwar area of the same Police district. Informed sources in north Kashmir told EXCELSIOR that working on intelligence inputs, troops of 14-Bihar laid an ambush near Phulanwali outpost, close to LoC, in Uri-Gulmarg sector last evening. Well after midnight, troops noticed a group of armed militants which had successfully infiltrated into the Valley from PoK. On troops challenging the militants to halt, a fierce gunbattle took place which lasted for several hours. Defence spokesman, Lt Col A K Mathur said that four militants got killed and Army did not suffer any damage. He said that the militants killed in the gunbattle seemed to be foreigners but their identification was not immediately possible. He said that four AK-56 rifles, besides a huge quantity of assorted ammunition and accessories, were recovered from the site of encounter. Four infiltrating militants have been killed in Uri- Gulmarg belt just a day after security forces killed equal number of infiltrators in Muthal Naar of Machhil sector in Kupwara district. With today's operation, forces have intercepted two groups of infiltrators which, according to Defence officials, was an indication that infiltration of militants from PoK to Jammu and Kashmir territories was still unabated. Sources said that working over a specific information, troops of Rashtriya Rifles 30 Bn and Handwara Police laid siege to Sherhama, Mawar, in Handwara area late last evening. According to the tip off, two militants of Al-Badar Mujahideen were hiding at the residence of one Mohammad Maqbool Shah S-o Sharief-ud-din Shah. As trooped zeroed in on the target house, the holed up militants opened fire and made unsuccessful attempts to escape. However, troops retaliated and the 24-hour-long operation left two militants killed. Officials identified the duo as Mohammad Ramzan Shah S-o Abdus Salam Shah R-o Dangiwacha, Rafiabad, and Abu Imran Sindhi of Pakistan. One AK-56 rifle, one pistol and 10 grenades are claimed to have been recovered from the site of encounter. Officials said that one soldier sustained injuries in the gunbattle. Reports said that hundreds of people gathered at Dangiwacha and Watergam, shouting slogans and charging the armed forces with killing 'an innocent student'. They claimed that Mohammad Ramzan Shah was a regular student with no liaison with militants. According to them, Shah was a resident of Batsumo Dangiwacha, Rafiabad, and an undergraduation student with Degree College Sopore, who had visited aunt Azizi's house. They alleged that Shah had been picked up and directed to guide the Army to a militant hideout but killed and labeled as a militant. They claimed that Shah had been regularly attending his studies at his college in Sopore. Residents staged a demonstration outside Police Station Dangiwacha and subsequently took out a protest demonstration. They were, however, stopped at Watergam when Police observed them carrying Shah's body. They demanded an independent investigation into the antecedents of the student and claimed that he had never associated himself with the separatist militancy. Senior Police officials, however, maintained that Shah had been regularly in touch with militants and also operated as a militant. They ruled out his possibility of being a regular student. Sources said that troops of Rashtriya Rifles 21 Bn were in movement to launch a search operation in the Bhawan Watsar forest area in Rajwarh belt of Handwara in the morning today when militants ambushed them. An encounter took place in which a soldier, Pawan Kumar, got killed and another soldier sustained injuries. Officials confirmed the death of one soldier and said that all the militants managed to escape. Spokesman of Lashkar- e-Toiba, Dr Abdullah Ghaznavi, claimed that five soldiers, including an officer, got killed and eight more injured. He said that militants of Lashkar, Al-Badar and Jaish had already occupied a position usually held by troops and launched the attack when a column of army was on way to launch an operation. Sources said that suspected militants lobbed a hand grenade on a Tata-407 of CRPF 135 Bn near Kathi Darwaza in Rainawari area of Srinagar which exploded and caused injuries to three soldiers, including two women paramilitaries Neelam Sharma and Jaswinder Kaur. Meanwhile, according to official sources, one militant of Al-Badar, namely Bilal Ahmed alias Abu Waqas S-o Ghulam Mohammad Teli of Tuldan, Shopian, was arrested at Amargarh in Sopore outskirts when he was on way to Lolab area. Officials said that one grenade was seized from the detained militant. Officials said that one militant surrendered with his AK rifle before troops of RR 14 Bn at Chuntimulla in Bandipore.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page