September 2007 News

Gypsy Attacked, Ultra Surrenders

30 September 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Jammu: A police Gypsy, which was escorting a Superintendent of Police (SP), today came under heavy firing by the militants at Dera Gali in Surankote tehsil of Poonch district leading to a fierce exchange of gun battle between militants and security forces which continued till late tonight while a Hizbul Mujahideen militants surrendered in Darhal area of Rajouri district. Official sources said the militants hiding in upper reaches of Dera Gali in Surankote opened firing on a police Gypsy, which was returning to headquarters of Jammu and Kashmir Armed Police (JKAP), 9th battalion, at Draba after dropping SP Ramesh Kumar Angral, Deputy Commandant of the battalion at Sawani Donarh this evening. Police personnel in the Gypsy took positions and retaliated. In the meantime, re-enforcement of police also swung into action and reached the spot. A heavy exchange of firing ensued between militants and police which continued for more than two hours. The militants later managed to escape taking cover of darkness. No casualties were reported on either side. Security forces also reached the spot and cordoned off the area. Searches were going on for the militants, whose number was stated to be between four and five. The militants, however, remained untraced. Sources said the ultras had, infact, laid an ambush for the SP but they opened the firing on the police Gypsy when it was returning after leaving him mistaking that the police vehicle was also carrying the SP. A Hizbul Mujahideen militant today surrendered before troops of Rashtriya Rifles and police at Sokar Dhar in Darhal area of Rajouri district. He has been identified as Mohd Farooq, 27, son of Hakim Din R-o Malut, a local trained activist of Hizbul Mujahideen, sources said. Mohd Farooq was son of Hakim Din, a police head constable, who was gunned down by the militants in 2000 after his retirement. Farooq was then working as Special Police Officer (SPO) but quit his job. He was reported to have joined militancy and even operated in Mumbai for sometime. He handed over one AK-56 rifle, two AK magazines, 60 rounds, two hand grenades and one pouch at the time of surrender. A Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan, Karamveer Singh was injured when his gun went off accidentally at Koteranka, Budhal in Rajouri district. Injured has been hospitalised.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page