October 2007 News

Boulevard Fidayeen Toll Ends At 2 Ultras

12 October 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Lashkar-e-Toiba's suicide strike on a CRPF formation on Boulevard in Dal Lake area has ended with the death of two Pakistani cadres of the organisation. CRPF spokesman Prabhakar Tripathi said that firing had subsided after one militant got killed at Hotel Boulevard, headquarters of CRPF 144 Bn late last evening. He said that when the paramilitaries were checking the premises in search of another militant, he established his presence while opening fire in the early morning today. He too was killed in quick retaliation. Tripathi claimed that two constables and one safai karamchari sustained injuries. He asserted that CRPF did not suffer any fatal casualty and all the three injured were stable at hospital. Lashkar-e-Toiba spokesman Dr Abdullah, Ghaznavi said that two 'guest militants,' namely Abu Mugeira and Abu Hanzala, got killed. He said that three militants of his organisation had stormed the camp but one of them, namely Abu Darda, managed to escape. He claimed that five soldiers got killed and 13 others injured in the 13-hour-long gunbattle. Meanwhile, Director General of Police, Kuldeep Khoda, interacted with mediapersons in the morning today at Srinagar Police Control Room. He told mediapersons that the suicide attack on the CRPF camp had failed and the same had been successfully thwarted by vigilant CRPF personnel. He said that both the holed up militants died in CRPF firing in the morning today, DGP said that two AK-56 rifles, four hand grenades and one mobile phone set were recovered from the site of the encounter. This particular suicide strike came exactly a year after militants had stormed certain structures in Budshah Chowk and about a dozen casualties had taken place in the 72 hour long operation. Meanwhile reports from Kupwara said that militants escaped successfully from the cordoned area in Shumriyal village. Trail of blood and statements from civilians indicated that one of the militants had got critically injured but his associates had taken him along. A search operation failed to trace the wounded militant.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page