October 2007 News

Mobile To Mobile: Militant Gets Brother-in-law Trapped

13 October 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Jammu: A top Hizbul Mujahideen militant, who was acting as 'district commander' of the outfit for Mahore-Arnas belt, today landed into the trap laid by Reasi police with the help of a mobile telephone of his brother-in-law, a hawala operator, who was nabbed by SOG Jammu along with Rs 2.50 lakh from a bus at Jhajjar Kotli the other day. The militant, who surrendered before Reasi police and BSF after finding himself trapped, has been identified as Mashooq Ali alias Salim Iqbal (code name Mike Ceera) son of Mohd Ramzan Mir, a resident of Chalat, Arnas. He had deserted police as a Special Police Officer (SPO) about five years back to join Hizbul Mujahideen. Mashooq Ali was brother-in- law of Manzoor Ahmed Mir, 25, son of Khalil Ahmed Mir, also an inhabitant of Chalat, Arnas, who was nabbed by SOG Jammu from a passenger bus at Jhajjar Kotli on October 10 afternoon when he was on way to Reasi along with a hawala consignment of Rs 2.50 lakh which he had to deliver to Mashooq. Manzoor Ahmed's mobile telephone 98581- 21565, which was recovered from his possession along with hawala money at the time of his arrest, was used by the SOG sleuths and Reasi police to make calls on Mashooq Ali's two mobile telephone numbers 94199-41347 and 94199-32213. Mashooq was trapped on the pretext of getting the hawala consignment. As he reached village Kanthan this afternoon between Arnas and Chalat, a Reasi police party under the supervision of SSP Reasi J L Sharma and a BSF team headed by CO 182 battalion besides Arnas Police Post Incharge Sunil Sharma laid a cordon for him. Finding himself trapped, Mashooq Ali surrendered before the BSF and police along with an AK rifle, three magazines, one grenade, one satellite telephone and two mobile telephones. Telephonic conversation between Mashooq Ali and Manzoor Ahmed revealed that Mashooq was finding it 'very difficult' to ensure survival of his cadre in Mahore-Arnas belt in the absence of hawala money and other necessary support. He was desperate to get the latest hawala consignment and it was due to the fact that he was himself coming down towards Arnas to 'take the consignment from Manzoor Ahmed' as he was not aware of the fact that Manzoor had been arrested and was calling him from his mobile phone in police custody. Mashooq had married Manzoor Ahmed's sister Rehmat Begum. Sources said the surrender-cum-arrest of Mashooq was a big setback for Hizbul Mujahideen outfit. Mashooq, who was an 'A' category militant and was involved in a series of subversive activities in Mahore-Arnas-Gool- Gulabgarh belt during the last four to five years. Mashooq was a SPO in Reasi but had deserted police force to join militancy. After he executed several tasks successfully for Hizbul Mujahideen, he was promoted as a 'district commander' by the outfit. Sources said Mashooq was Second-in-Command after Javed Qureshi in Udhampur-Doda belt of HM. Qureshi is operating from Marmat, Doda. Mashooq was appointed as HM's 'district commander' after the outfit had ousted Mushtaq Bhat alias Masood. Police, meanwhile, continued a hunt for Nazir Ahmed, who had escaped from near the Udhampur bus stand after delivering the hawala consignment to Manzoor Ahmed. Manzoor was also an active militant since early 2004. He was, however, arrested by the BSF along with arms and ammunition and later detained under Public Safety Act (PSA) and other provisions of law. He remained in Kot Bhalwal jail for one and a half year and was released only few months back. However, he had again joined the militancy after his release.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page