October 2007 News

Arrested, Jailed Thrice, Sadiq Again Joined LeT

18 October 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Jammu: Hawala money worth Rs 4 lakh, which was seized by police yesterday afternoon at Nagrota and the militant, taking it, arrested, was traded at Jewel Chowk in the heart of the City. Quoting from preliminary interrogation of a Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT) militant Mohd Sadiq son of Mohd Ramzan, a resident of Jagote Kathawa in Thathri area of Kishtwar district, who was nabbed yesterday along with the hawala money, official sources told the Excelsior that Mohd Sadiq was sounded on his mobile phone by one Raj to meet him outside State Bank of India (SBI), Canal Road branch to collect the consignment. Sadiq told interrogators that he waited for about an hour outside the SBI branch but no one turned up to give him the consignment. He rang up Raj later, who asked him to reach at Jewel Chowk. After codes of both the persons tallied, Raj handed over the consignment to Mohd Sadiq. Raj was reported to have been won over by the Intelligence agencies and it was on his information that Sadiq was arrested at Nagrota when he was heading towards Doda along with the consignment. Military Intelligence, SOG Jammu and police was, however, keeping a vigil on Sadiq right from the Jewel Chowk after the consignment was traded. Sources, however, declined to give exact identity or details about Raj saying he had helped the agencies by giving a tip about the hawala transaction, which has finally exposed a major network of the LeT outfit in Kishtwar and Doda districts. Investigations by SOG, police and Intelligence agencies have revealed that Mehraj-ud-Din son of Mohd Zareef, a resident of Lohd Chirala, Thathri, who happened to be real brother of a top Lashkar commander Showkat Ahmed (code Saqib), a 'district commander' of the outfit for Thathri, was running a STD PCO 'exclusive for militants and their over ground cadre' at Chirala. Not only the militants were making calls to their outfit cadre in Mumbai and Delhi but also to over ground workers from the PCO. Mobile telephones with the militants were also being recharged at the same PCO. The PCO has been sealed. Police party in Thathri operation was led by SHO Thathri T R Bhardwaj. Mehraj-ud-Din along with his brother-in-law (sister's husband) Javed Ahmed son of Mohd Shaffi were arrested immediately after Mohd Sadiq was captured by the security agencies at Nagrota. Sources said all three are being sent to Joint Interrogation Centre (JIC) in next couple of days for cross questioning to ascertain hawala channels and other connections of the LeT outfit. Questioning of Mohd Sadiq has revealed that he was involved in militancy for last 12 years and was arrested and jailed thrice. Every time after his release, he used to join the militancy again. Sadiq revealed that he had joined the LeT in 1995. Within six months, he was injured in an encounter and was arrested. After spending few months in jail, he was released. Again in 2000, he was arrested in Doda district from a hide-out and was detained under different provisions of anti-terrorism law and remained in jail for two years. He was bailed out in 2002 but he again joined the militancy. Third time, he was captured in 2004 and again got the jail term. He was released last year. However, repeated arrests and jail terms didn't deter him and he again joined the LeT outfit and started working for them. This time, Sadiq was motivated to join the LeT out by his cousin Mohd Amin Bhat alias Khuded son of Dawood Bhat R-o Kathawa, Thathri. Khuded was an active militant since 1997. Sources said the interrogation of three arrested militants could give police some vital clues about Khuded and Saqib, who were front ranking militants of the LeT outfit and were operating in Kishtwar and Doda districts.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page