October 2007 News

2 civilians killed in Valley

26 October 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Suspected militants and security forces have gunned down two young civilians in Sopore area of Baramulla district during last night. Informed sources said that unidentified gunmen, believed to be militants, who seemed to be in ambush, fired upon 25-year-old Firdaus Ahmed Mir S-o Ghulam Rasool Mir R-o Janwara, late last evening when he was on way to his home from a local mosque. He was evacuated to a hospital but died en route. Mir had been running a furnishing shop at the nearby village, Warpora, on Sopore-Bandipore Road. Officials said that Mir was not associated with any political, militant or counter- insurgent group, or Police or security forces. They said that the cause behind his assassination was under investigation. Sources said that guards of headquarters of 5-Sector Rashtriya Rifles gunned down 16-year-old Aqeel Ahmed Mir S-o Abdur Rasheed Mir R-o Babhar, Pulwama, at Watlab in Sopore area when he was attempting to enter the encampment. The guards are believed to have suspected the boy as a suicide militant as he had sneaked into the camp after crossing the outer fencing and was removing the barbed wire of another fencing. He is said to have died on spot. Police officials said that the youth appeared to be mentally deranged or spiritually overridden. They said that Police had registered a case and started investigation even as nothing suspicious had been recovered from the boy's possession. A Defence spokesman said in a statement that Akeel Ahmed Mir was wearing a track suit and Phiran and he crawled under the security perimeter fence of HQ 5 Sector Rashtriya Rifles. He was challenged by the sentry to stop. However, he ran towards the road and attempted to enter the main gate. He was again challenged by the sentry at the main gate and warning shots were fired in the air. Akeel did not stop in spite of all these cautions and was finally shot by the sentry while forcibly trying to enter the camp. He said that the youth's body was handed over to his family through Police.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page