November 2007 News

Series of IED blasts inValley, informer killed

20 November 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Militants shot dead a suspected informer and set off a series of Improvised Explosive Devices in an abortive attempt to target security forces in the Kashmir valley today. Manzoor Ahmad Wani was gunned down at Tumdari in Kulgam district, official sources said. Wani, a baker by profession, had been kidnapped by militants last night on the suspicion of being an informer of security forces. Militants set off an IED at Navdal-Kharpora road in Pulwama district without causing any loss of life. The device was detonated minutes before the Road Opening Party of CRPF reached the spot, the sources said. A Bomb Disposal Squad of local police defused an IED planted by militants at Shahpora-Wahthora road in Budgam district last night. Militants also detonated an IED, planted on the roadside near Kohru bridge, when an Army convoy was passing through Handwara area of Kupwara district last evening without causing any damage, the sources said. They said the IED exploded after the last vehicle of the convoy had passed by. Police detected and defused a live grenade at Main Chowk, Sopore in Baramulla district last evening. The grenade was found lying on the roadside by a police party and was later defused by experts of Bomb Disposal Squad, foiling ultrasí plan to carry out a grenade attack in the north Kashmir township. Meanwhile, an Automated Teller Machine (ATM) of Jammu and Kashmir Bank Ltd at Tourist Reception Centre, few meters away from JK Bank's Corporate headquarter, was looted by unidentified persons who decamped with lakhs of rupees during night intervening Monday and Tuesday. According to a Bank official, who didn't want to be named, 12 to 14 lakh rupees were loaded in the Machine on Monday evening. However as the subscribers on Tuesday tried to take out the money from the ATM, they had to return empty handed. 'From the wee hours of the day, people came out with complaints for lack of money in the Machine. As we visited the spot we could see the Machine was intact and we immediately informed the police,' he said. Station House Officer Kothibagh police station, Parvez Ahmed, however maintained that no formal complaint of the robbery has been lodged by the Bank with the police. 'We were telephonically asked to help investigate the matter and we initiated the investigation,' he said. Terming the burglary as quite different from the 54 reported ATM robberies so far in Kashmir, Pervez said that the Machine had a 12 digit code which had been declassified by the robbers. 'The code is known only to the Bank insiders, he said. That too is confined to the people connected with the operations of this particular Machine', he added. Forensic experts have been called in and finger prints of the suspects have been taken for scrutiny. Under which circumstances the code has been decoded is a matter of investigation, the police official said. Later in the evening, Public Relations Officer of the bank confirmed the robbery and told the Excelsior that about Rs 14 lakh have been looted. 'An FIR in this connection has been lodged with the police for investigation into the matter and booking of the culprits' he said.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page