Surrender Policy Not For Foreign Militants
22 November 2007
Awantipore: Foreign militants do not come under the purview of the surrender policy, the outgoing General-Officer-Commanding of the Srinagar-based 15 Corps, Lieutenant General A.S. Sekhon, clarified on Thursday. The policy was meant only for locals to return to the mainstream. 'A foreigner has no business here, and he needs to be eliminated.' After accepting arms from six militants of the Harkat-e-Jehadi Islami and the Hizb-ul Mujahideen at the Victor Force headquarters here, Lieutenant General Sekhon told a news conference that militancy in Jammu and Kashmir was under control, and the security forces were making efforts to further neutralise militants. Maintaining that the security grid had come a long way in containing militancy, he said 140 militants had been killed since August this year. The intensive operations in Tangmarg, Sopore and Pattan were not linked to the situation in Pakistan. 'I do not think it will have an impact on the situation in Kashmir.' The militants killed recently had been operating here for over a decade. With heavy deployment, fencing and surveillance, 'we have killed 95 militants' who tried to into this side. The number of such attempts was more than last year. Linking the surrender of the militants to the changing atmosphere, Lieutenant General Sekhon said, 'They have realised that violence begets nothing but destruction, and I hope all others holding guns will emulate them.' He said human rights violations were also on the decline. 'We are committed to taking disciplinary action against the guilty.' The Army vacated all school and hospital buildings in Kashmir which it occupied earlier. Earlier, the militants who surrendered said they wanted to lead a peaceful life. Most of them denied that they were active or that had taken part in operations against the security forces. All the militants, who hailed from the Doda area, said they had never gone across the border for training.