November 2007 News

HUJI ultra killed in group clash

24 November 2007
The Daily Excelsior

Srinagar: Militants’ plot to blow up railway track or trigger blast under a train near Kathua was foiled by police this afternoon which detected and defused a powerful IED near the track while a grenade was neutralised in Ghrota on old Jammu-Akhnoor road. In other militancy related incidents, a ‘district commander’ of Harkat-ul-Jehad Islami (HUJI) was gunned down by his colleagues in Tatwan forests in Chatru area of Kishtwar district last night while another militant of the same outfit surrendered in Kishtwar. Official sources said a police party from Kathua police station led by SHO Inspector Kuljeet Singh rushed towards the railway track at village Barwal, about seven kms from Kathua after getting a specific input that an explosive device had been planted in the area. The device was found just 100 meters from the railway track. Weighing 2.5 kg and filled with RDX, the IED was capable of causing extensive damage. A Bomb Disposal Squad rushed to the spot and defused the IED after taking it away from the railway track. Sources said a major tragedy was averted with timely detection of the IED near the railway track. Police have launched a search operation in the area but no arrests have been made so far. A grenade was found lying behind a wine shop, close to Ghrota police station on old Jammu-Akhnoor road this afternoon. Police parties led by Additional SP Jammu Shakti Pathak reached the spot and cordoned off the area. A Bomb Disposal Squad defused the grenade. Another grenade, which had earlier been recovered during cleaning of Dharam Khoo ( a well) in Ghrota, was also defused today. Police was conducting a search operation in the area. A ‘district commander’ of HUJI, Abdul Rashid alias Sarwar son of Ghulam Mohd Hajam R-o Hakwas, Kuchal, was gunned down by his associates in Tatwan forest in Chatru area of Kishtwar district last night. The killer group of militants was reportedly led by Bashir Ahmed aliasSabha son of Habib Ullah Mir R-o Kuchal. Body of Hajam alias Danish alias Sarwar Khan was recovered from Teetwan forests this morning, sources said. Hajam, who had joined militancy in 1992, was arrested in 1997 and later released by the court in 1999, they said, adding he had been involved in several terror attacks in Doda and Kishtwar areas since then. Reasons behind his killing couldn’t be ascertained immediately. A HUJI militant Mohammad Amin Bhat surrendered before Rashtriya Rifles troops in Kishtwar this morning, sources said. He handed over three rifles and some grenades to the security personnel. The rifles had been looted from the cops, who were on guard duty at the house of former National Conference MLA from Inderwal Qazi Jalal-ud-Din, sources said.


Return to the Archives 2007 Index Page

Return to Home Page