March 2008 News

Two top Hizbul comdrs surrender in Reasi

9 March 2008
The Daily Excelsior
Sanjeev Pargal

JAMMU: Two Hizbul Mujahideen commanders today surrendered before police and Army at Reasi along with a large quantity of arms and ammunition and revealed that their cadre was badly hit by shortage of manpower as well as weaponry. SSP Reasi J L Sharma, however, said that with the surrender of two commanders, the Hizbul Mujahideen outfit has nearly been wiped out in Reasi district. Only yesterday, police had arrested a Hizbul militant Abdul Rashid, who was involved in a grenade attack on a VDC member at Sani Top Arnas last week in which three family members of VDC member were killed and five others including VDC member Mushtaq Ahmed were injured. Official sources said two Hizbul commanders today laid down arms before SSP Reasi J L Sharma, Commanding Officer (CO) 54 Rashtriya Rifles and officers of BSF’s 12th and 182 battalions in Reasi. IGP Jammu K Rajendera supervised the surrender operation. The surrendered militants have been identified as Mumtaz Ahmed alias Tahir Siddiqui son of Ali Mohd, a resident of Thuroo Kund, Mahore, a Pakistan trained militant and district commander of HM and Anzar Ahmed alias Arslan son of Mohd Sultan R-o Kanthi, Mahore, a local trained militant and battalion commander of the outfit. At the time of surrender, they handed over two AK rifles with six magazines, one Chinese grenade, one I Com wireless set with three spare antennas, 347 AK rounds, 116 SLR rounds, 52 rounds of .303, nine Pika rounds and two Insas rounds, 107 electric detonators, two pouches and some documents. Surrender of two commanders was a major setback to Hizbul Mujahideen outfit especially in Reasi district, the SSP Reasi said and added that top cadre of the outfit has virtually been wiped out with today’s surrender. During their preliminary questioning, the militants have disclosed that Hizbul Mujahideen outfit was facing shortage of manpower and weaponry in upper reaches of Mahore, Arnas and Gulabgarh. They too concurred with the SSP Reasi’s statement that their top cadre has either been eliminated or apprehended while others have surrendered. However, according to them, some Hizbul cadre were still active in the area but they were lying low in the absence of weaponry and finances. The militants have disclosed some hide-outs of their outfit in upper reaches of Mahore, Gool and Gulabgarh where top commanders of the outfit used to take shelter earlier. According to them, the HM commanders have shifted to Banihal on the directions of outfit’s top leadership where they have developed some safe hide-outs. Mumtaz Ahmed was just 12 years old when he was taken away from his house by three Over Ground Workers (OGWs) of Hizbul Mujahideen. After shifting him from one place to another for about a month, Mumtaz was finally taken to Pakistan where he was imparted training in arms and explosives for nearly one year after which he intruded into this side from Poonch sector. He was operating in Mahore- Gool-Gulabgarh-Ramban belt for last 13 years and was involved in a series of subversive activities. Anzar Ahmed was studying in BA Part II when he was lured into militancy by Abdul Haq alias Jehangir, a former district commander of Hizbul Mujahideen, about eight years back. He was given training in arms and explosives in upper reaches of Gool-Gulabgarh for two months after which he joined militancy. Police have assured rehabilitation of both surrendered militants.

[Home] [Archives 2008]
Web site maintained by Md. Sadiq & Friends