Pakistan denies Indian charge of LoC truce violation
14 May 2008
The News International
: The Indian army accused Pakistan on Wednesday of violating a ceasefire by firing a cross the Line of Control (LoC). But Pakistan denied that any firing had taken place. The reported firing comes days after an incident last Friday when New Delhi said its soldiers came under heavy cross-border fire while trying to stop a group of militants from sneaking into held Kashmir. It was this year's worst border incident. A ceasefire is in place since November 2003. 'Last (Tuesday) evening, Pakistan army resorted to unprovoked firing in Kupwara sector, our troops did not retaliate, no one was hurt,' said Indian army spokesman, Lt-Col AK Mathur. 'This is the ceasefire violation by the Pakistani army.' But Pakistan's military said no such incident took place. 'It's incorrect. We have refuted it and have informed India at a high-level there has been no such incident,' Inter-Services Public Relations Director-General Maj-Gen Athar Abbas said. He said a Pakistan army commander in the area was also contacting his Indian counterpart to inform him that there had been no violation of the ceasefire by the Pakistani troops. Indian Foreign Secretary Shiv Shankar Menon said on Wednesday terrorism issues would be high on agenda in the Islamabad talks. 'The fact is, infiltration itself is a problem. We will deal with it on the ground and also bilaterally with Pakistan,' Menon said, who would be visiting Pakistan this month. Adding to tension in Kashmir, eight people were killed when Indian soldiers clashed with militants in a village in India's part of the Himalayan region over the weekend, in some of the worse violence there this year.