Undeclared Curfew Continues For 2nd Day In Kashmir

7 November 2008

Srinagar: Undeclared curfew continued for the second day today in the Kashmir valley where the Coordination Committee, spearheading the present agitation, has given a ‘Jamia Masjid chalo’ call after authorities foiled a similar call yesterday. Thousands of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and state police personnel, holding automatic weapons and lathis besides protection shields in their hands, were strictly inforcing the restriction in the summer capital, Srinagar and its adjoining areas and other major towns of the valley for the second day today. However, authorities still claimed that there was no curfew in any part of the valley. The CRPF and police personnel were not allowing people to move out of their homes in almost all parts of the city. When some newspersons informed the security personnel that according to district administration and Police Control Room (PCR), there was no curfew in any part of the city, the security personnel said they have strict instructions not to allow anyone towards the city. One portion of the bridge from Airport side was sealed by the security force personnel and only those coming from city towards the uptown were being allowed. An advocate Zaffar Ahmad, who was on way to Tulsi Bagh along with his wife and children to attend the Namaz Jinazah of his maternal uncle was also not allowed. He was seen pleading to security personnel that he should be allowed to visit his uncle's house who died this morning. More than a dozen others, mostly government employees, also had to return to their homes after they were told that curfew remained imposed in the city. The Jamia masjid area, including Sher-e-Khas and down town also remained under the undeclared curfew. “We were not allowed to bring milk and bread by the security forces deployed in these areas since yesterday,” alleged the residents. Similar reports were also received from other parts of the city, including uptown and civil lines. Hundreds of security force personnel remained deployed in and around the Maisuma locality, the most troubled spot in the city besides down town. Reports undeclared curfew had also been received from other major towns and tehsils in the valley.