Pak Sepoy Among Three Jaish ‘suicide Bombers’ Held In Jammu

23 December 2008
The Indian Express

Jammu: On the eve of the last phase of polling in Jammu and Kashmir, police today said they had foiled a Jaish-e-Mohammed plan to carry out suicide attacks in Jammu city with the arrest of three persons, including a serving soldier of the Pakistan Army. The trio, arrested from a Jammu hotel, had entered India via Bangladesh, reaching Jammu by train from Kolkata. Their “guide” remains at large. DGP Kuldeep Khoda said the three men were waiting for their guide who was to reach the city from the Valley. He said the men, who were from the Jaish cadre, had been trained for suicide attacks which included ramming targets with explosive-laden vehicles. “One AK-56 rifle, two pistols, four Chinese hand grenades, two AK magazines, two pistol magazines, 56 rounds of AK-56, 12 pistol rounds and some maps of locations of Jammu have been recovered from their bags,” he said. Khoda said the trio faked their identities - they claimed to be residents of Delhi - to check into Samrat Hotel near the General Bus Stand in Jammu. He identified the Pakistan Army soldier as Gulam Fareed (25), son of Mohammad Shafi of Ruperi village in Bhimber district of Pakistan Occupied Kashmir. Fareed, a sepoy in the 10 Azad Kashmir Regiment, joined the Pakistan Army in 2001 and was allotted belt number 4319184, he said. “Before joining the army, Fareed was a member of the Harkat-ul-Jihad-e-Islami and had received tactical training for three months in Barnala camp,” Khoda said. “In 2007, he joined the Jaish cadre. He is skilled in communication and can operate a number of weapons.” Khoda named the other two militants as Mohammad Abdullah (22), son of Mohammad Zareen of Serian village in Haripur district in the North West Frontier Province, and Mohammad Imran (22), son of Abdul Gaffar of 8 Dera Nawab, Yajmaan Mandi in Bahawalpur district. They studied at a Rawalpindi madrasa run by Mufti Abdul Rouf, younger brother of Jaish chief Maulana Masood Azhar. “In August, they got orders to report to the Karachi office near the cantonment and were given fake passports and visa. On September 1, they flew to Dhaka from where a Pakistani agent moved them to Khulna for three months. On December 15, they sneaked into India with the help of a guide. They stayed for a night at Kamarhati in Kolkata. On December 18, they boarded the Jammu Tawi Express and reached Jammu two days later. They first checked into Hotel Shankar near the railway station and then moved to Hotel Samrat from where they were arrested on Sunday,” Khoda said.