2011 Witnessed Historic Low Level Violence, Says Chidambaram31 December 2011
Mumbai: Year 2011, witnessed a historic low in the level of violence in disturbed areas like Jammu and Kashmir, the North Eastern States and areas affected by the Naxal violence, said Mr P Chidambaram, Union Home Minister, on Saturday at a press conference. He said that the Panchayat elections held in Jammu and Kashmir after a gap of 23 years and peace talks with major insurgency groups including United Liberation Front of Assam and National Democratic Front of Bodoland in the North-East, were major factors, which helped mitigate the level of violence I n these areas. The incidents of violence in Naxal-affected States habe declined, but it still continues to be unacceptably high, he said. In areas affected by Naxalism, 447 civilians and 142 security personnel were killed this year against 718 and 285, respectively, in 2010. In Jammu and Kashmir, 31 civilians and 33 security personnel lost their lives this year against 47 and 69, respectively, in 2010. Integrated Action Plan Mr Chidambaram said that the Integrated Action Plan, for the Naxal-infested areas was a major innovation of the Centre. The plan had an outlay of Rs 1,500 crore in 2010-11 and Rs 1,800 crore in 2011-12. “Decentralised decision making, empowering district level officers and quick, time bound implementation of the works have brought development to the villages in the most backward and violence-affected districts of India,” he said. However, he was also quick to point that in Naxal hit districts like Gadchiroli in Maharashtra, not enough development has been done by the State Government, “I had reviewed the Gadchiroli situation last month and I'm not happy with the development there,” he said. Mr Chidambaram also said that the Mumbai bomb blast of July 13 and September 7 blast in Delhi, are reminders that terrorist modules continue to be active. While investigations in the Delhi bomb blast case have led to the arrest of three persons and to the identification of three wanted persons, investigations are still under way in the Mumbai bomb blasts case, he said.