Strike, Clashes After Killing Of Militants

15 April 2014
Kashmir Despatch

Srinagar: A day after two Lashkar-e-Toiba militants were killed in a 22-hour long fierce gunfight in Ahmad Nagar on the Srinagar outskirts, a complete shutdown was observed amidst violent protests. The gunfight which erupted on Sunday evening left two militants Abu Huzaifa Sindhi and Chota Hafiz dead while two policemen from Special Operation Group (SOG) constable Qazi Maqsood and head constable Tazeem Ahmad were injured. Two houses also suffered extensive damage during the gunfight. The killings of the militants had triggered protests in the area on Monday evening. For the second day Tuesday, dozens of youth appeared on streets in Ahmad Nagar and blocked the 90-Feet road - which connects Srinagar with Ganderbal, witnesses said. Youth erected concertina wires on the road and burnt tires to stop the movement of vehicles. All the shops, schools and other commercial institutes in the area remained closed in the area while public transport also remained suspended. Hundreds of people visited the houses of Mukhtar Ahmad Khan and Abdul Majeed Rangraiz at Shadab Colony- where the militants were holed up. For the third consecutive day Tuesday, Khrew area of Pulwom district also observed a complete shutdown against the killing of two Pakistan militants in a fierce encounter with forces. On Sunday afternoon, two Laskhar-e-Toiba militants had attacked the residence of ruling National Conference (NC) youth leader, Yawar Masudi in Khrew. The militants fired upon two policemen guarding the residence of NC leader and both of them were killed on way to hospital. The militants were also killed after a brief exchange of fire with army and Special Operation Group (SOG) in a nearby mustard field. Soon after the killing of the militants, spontaneous shutdown was observed in the area, where hundreds of people took to streets and held pro-freedom demonstrations. Shouting slogans, the protesters hailing from three different villages were demanding the bodies of slain militants. Later, the bodies of the duo were buried at martyrs' graveyard, Androosa after police handed over the bodies to villagers. Hundreds of people had attended the funeral of the slain militants. Reports said Tuesday that the shutdown continued for the third consecutive day in Khrew and its adjoining areas including Pampar, Ladhoo and Androosa. All the shops, business establishments, schools, and factories remained closed in these areas. 'Public transport was also off in these areas while roads presented a deserted look in Androosa,' reports said.