Chinese Intruders Went Back After Flag Meeting: Rajnath
28 July 2014
Times of India
: Lending credence to reports that Chinese herdsmen had made an incursion into Indian territory in Ladakh last week, government on Monday said the intruders withdrew from the position following a flag meeting between border forces of the two countries. 'The Chinese went back after the flag meeting,' home minister Rajnath Singh told reporters when asked about the reported incursion. The incursion, which happened on July 25, was reported along the Charding Nilu Nullah Junction in the Demchok sector along the Line of Actual Control in J&K. An Indian patrolling team was dispatched to the spot and later a team of Chinese forces also reached there. Reports suggested that a flag meeting between commanders from both sides finally resulted in the Chinese herdsmen retreating the following day. Last fortnight, Chinese troops reportedly made two incursion attempts in Demchok and Chumar areas of Ladakh but were pushed back into their territory by Indian security personnel. The two incursion bids came even as Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping emphasized on the need to resolve the boundary issue during their meeting in Brazil on the sidelines of the BRICS summit. Meanwhile, the home minister on Monday reviewed the situation along various borders, particularly ongoing border development projects. Seeking an effective development plan for border areas from his ministry officials, Singh promised to take it up with the ministries concerned for environmental clearances and infrastructure development.